SLW 9 weeks - pullet / cockerel?

I busted Cappy Llama in the nesting box today checking things out. He isn't quite 19 weeks yet, so even if he was a she, it's a bit young for a silkie I think?

I caught Cappy Llama in the nesting box again this morning. I've gotten 4 small pale eggs over the last week, seen some silkie feathers in the boxes and had a pale egg with a white silkie feather stuck to it. I'm thinking Cappy Llama is actually a pullet! Which is crazy because they just turned 20 weeks old yesterday, so if it is "her" laying eggs she would have started laying at about 19 weeks. Which I think is crazy young for a silkie, but then again, this is a hatchery silkie... I'm excited to check the boxes tonight!

20230908_070324.jpg

For comparison, here is one of the cockerels
20230907_191220.jpg

I caught Cappy Llama in the nesting box again this morning. I've gotten 4 small pale eggs over the last week, seen some silkie feathers in the boxes and had a pale egg with a white silkie feather stuck to it. I'm thinking Cappy Llama is actually a pullet! Which is crazy because they just turned 20 weeks old yesterday, so if it is "her" laying eggs she would have started laying at about 19 weeks. Which I think is crazy young for a silkie, but then again, this is a hatchery silkie... I'm excited to check the boxes tonight!

View attachment 3630879

For comparison, here is one of the cockerels
View attachment 3630881
Oh dear. This is getting me all cornfuzzled again. I think you will have to catch the little stinker in the act of laying an egg to clear it up. I'm switching my vote to pullet now though, lol.

Oh dear. This is getting me all cornfuzzled again. I think you will have to catch the little stinker in the act of laying an egg to clear it up. I'm switching my vote to pullet now though, lol.
Cornfuzzled accurately describes my state on this little bird too! If there's a likely looking egg in that box tonight I'll try to remember to post a pic here!

Back
Top Bottom