small eggs, whats up???

mgw

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Eastern Wa.
We have 5 black stars , we got our first egg on thursday 7/29 since then we have got a total of eight eggs. We have at least 3 ladies laying for sure, the problem is all the eggs are small like first egg small. is this normal , or are we missing something. we are feeding them layer feed & offering oyster shell. Does it just take awhile for them to start laying normal size eggs? Yesterday we got a strange egg it was thin shell that was deformed light cream color with brown speckles all over it, we think that it was someones first egg, is it edible?
Thanks Mike & angie

The egg is edible. There is a pretty good chance it is one's first effort.

The eggs will gradually get larger. Mine started laying at five months old. By 9 months age, the eggs were pretty decent sized. After their first adult molt, they should increase in size quite a bit.

Quote:
All sounds normal to me. They will eventually start "growing". Occasioinally an egg will move too quickly down the "chute" and not form a proper shell, the egg inside is still the same.

Thank you all for the quick response, thats what we love about this website so many kind & helpful folks on it.
We were thinking the samething but had to confirm. Thanks again

I 'think' 5 of my 6 sex-links are laying. When a new one began, there would be a larger egg then just small ones. They began 7/14...Dolly laid for about a week then others joined in.

But this week I have had 2 or 3 eggs that are larger than the small ones...don't know if someone else began laying or what. Just glad to get some that are larger.

Just now I was emptying all the ice bottles and checking for the last eggs, one of the SLW's was doing something that sounded like the 'egg song'...her comb and face are not red...more a dark pink and no squat yet. Hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom