Small, low maintenance waterer?

cnd8

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
I have a small coop with just two hens. I'm currently using the traditional, white and red waterer that is placed on the ground atop bricks. However, I am getting tired of the daily (sometimes multiple times a day) cleaning that this waterer requires. Not to mention that it takes up a good solid one square foot of the valuable coop space.

What other watering systems could I use that would be less maintenance without taking up floor space in my coop? I have checked out the fountains, but I am not really fond of the idea that I'd have to have a large container sitting besides or on top of my coop. Any other options?

Look up chicken water nipples on Amazon. Most people install these in pvc pipe for large automatic watering,but you can also put these in the bottom of a plastic bucket (even a small 2 gallon bucket) and hang it in the coop. Will last many days for only 2 birds

I like the horizontal nipples best. I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket, but you can put them in smaller containers like here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...horizontal-spring-loaded-watering-nipples/330

There are a lot more pictures on that thread to give you all sorts of ideas. The great thing with the nipples is their water stays clean and you only need to replace it to keep it fresh, or when they empty it.

I agree with the horizontal nipples. I use them in a 5 gallon bucket, and it keeps all 15 of my hens with plenty of water all week. It lasts 10 - 12 days, but I usually change it every weekend just so I don't have to change it during the week after work.

I also got tired of changing those flip water jugs. I love my water bucket!

I bought a couple of 1 Qt paint buckets w/ lids at Home Depot. 3 nipples on the bottom. Cut a small hole in the top to vent. Hang from a cord or pole. It stays clean and you can easily adjust height as they grow. This is the perfect size for 2-3 chix, I use 5 Gal ones in my big coops for 15 chix. They learn to use it real quick if you remove the other waterer. You can buy the nipples on EBay (I buy the screw-in kind, 25 at a time, so I hv more if indeed to make new waterers). Good luck!
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom