Small one in the flock

davef72

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2015
East Texas
Just bought a dozen chicks. 10 are three weeks old and 2 are only two weeks old.

The two week old chicks are MUCH smaller. I heard them chirping VERY loud this evening. I went in to see a few of the larger chicks pecking feathers out of one of the smaller birds. Should I worry about this?

I don't want to lose one of my girls this early.

So I left her overnight with the other chicks.  I went in this morning, and she was not moving around like the other chicks.  She is still breathing, but wonder what I should do.  I really do NOT want to lose this baby golden LAced Wyandotte.  Her color is awesome, and she seems like a sweet girl.  

Are there any other recommendations?  
Will the larger birds kill her?

I'm new to all this...

Do you have a smaller tote you can put next to he brooder? I say put her In there with a cover with screen or something to allow airflow. This way they can hear her and she can hear them. Put a mirror in there as well as the other basics.
Giver her some vitamin mixture if you have any (poly vi sol, pedialyte, nutria reach) to get her strength up.

I'll tag someone that has been an amazing help to me in my chicken objectives! @Sally Sunshine can you give him some advice?

Last edited:
Just bought a dozen chicks. 10 are three weeks old and 2 are only two weeks old.

The two week old chicks are MUCH smaller. I heard them chirping VERY loud this evening. I went in to see a few of the larger chicks pecking feathers out of one of the smaller birds. Should I worry about this?

I don't want to lose one of my girls this early.

I'd suggest separating them for a bit and slowly reintroduce them, however I am not an expert and am new to chicken keeping. I had one that was getting picked on and I had to separate her to be sure she was getting enough food, water, and sleep.
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give you stronger advice.

So I left her overnight with the other chicks. I went in this morning, and she was not moving around like the other chicks. She is still breathing, but wonder what I should do. I really do NOT want to lose this baby golden LAced Wyandotte. Her color is awesome, and she seems like a sweet girl.

Are there any other recommendations?
Will the larger birds kill her?

I'm new to all this...

Do you have a smaller tote you can put next to he brooder? I say put her In there with a cover with screen or something to allow airflow. This way they can hear her and she can hear them. Put a mirror in there as well as the other basics.
Giver her some vitamin mixture if you have any (poly vi sol, pedialyte, nutria reach) to get her strength up.

I'll tag someone that has been an amazing help to me in my chicken objectives! @Sally Sunshine can you give her some advice?

Hey there you are ambe sweets!
hugs.gif
you have said everything I would have. Perhaps just one other chick with her would do the trick under observation? I have noticed chicks will pair up and chirp for each other after I sell some.

other items for a singleton are feather dusters, stuffed animals....

If you need to make a solution for her see this Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks post #3876 USING SPONGE WEDGES post #4473

Good luck with them
hugs.gif
hope she improves..... oh and a reminder, never put chicks or chickens together if any blood or red areas are visible!

:weee
Hey there you are ambe sweets! :hugs   you have said everything I would have. Perhaps just one other chick with her would do the trick under observation? I have noticed chicks will pair up and chirp for each other after I sell some.

other items for a singleton are feather dusters, stuffed animals.... 

If you need to make a solution for her see this [COLOR=FF0000]Homemade Electrolyte Recipe for weak/ill chicks[/COLOR] post #3876  [COLOR=FF0000]USING SPONGE WEDGES[/COLOR][COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR]post #4473

Good luck with them :hugs hope she improves.....  oh and a reminder, never put chicks or chickens together if any blood or red areas are visible!

Yay! You've taught me so much and thank you for popping in and helping out! Dave, good luck! Fingers crossed and lots of snuggles for the fluffy butts! @Sally Sunshine
:weee

Here is what I've been doing for my smaller one.

I've read being sure they can "see " another chick. I use the mirror for that and with them so close it helps with their language and conversations. I put her in a couple hours a day for supervised visits so they are use to her being there so once they are use to being around the integration should be easier!

Thanks for all the help @Sally Sunshine and @ambe0487

I'll seperate her this evening when I get home. I sure hope she's still alive. I'll place her with her other small Golden Lace Wyandotte in a smaller container. I purchased a dozen chicks last Thursday. She and the other GLW are a week younger than the other ten birds. I can't thank yall enough for all the help.

Thanks for all the help @Sally Sunshine
 and @ambe0487

I'll seperate her this evening when I get home.  I sure hope she's still alive.  I'll place her with her other small Golden Lace Wyandotte in a smaller container.  I purchased a dozen chicks last Thursday.  She and the other GLW are a week younger than the other ten birds.  I can't thank yall enough for all the help.  

Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom