smaller eggs

Melinda48

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2013
Columbia, MO
Do chickens lay smaller eggs in the winter? It seems my girls' eggs are smaller now than they were in the fall. I am still getting 11-12/day from my 12 girls so I am absolutely thrilled but they are a bit smaller.

That's interesting! I have not experienced that with my girls in the winter. How old are the hens? It can sometimes take hens a few months to settle in to laying a consistently sized egg, although I thought that they usually get larger as they get older. I wonder if it just happens to coincide with winter. It's great that you are still getting so many eggs though! Are you supplementing with light?

I would think it could happen. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep them warm and fed and with plenty of water and stuff as usual. I have never noticed smaller eggs in winter though.
hu.gif
Did you change food type or anything?

They were born in March.we are still getting 11 eggs a day (from 12 girls). The last bag of feed my husband picked up was not pellets (as they are used to). They seem perfectly fine otherwise-guess Inwont worry bout it. :D

Thanks for the good words! It has been cruelly cold of late so I bet you're right. We will just wait for spring (and be ready to do a happy dance)!

Back
Top Bottom