Smelly incubator day 20

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
Ok. First timer. I didn’t have sponges so I used washcloths at the bottom of a little giant incubator. I lifted the viewing plastic to just sniff in case of rotten eggs. It doesn’t smell rotten but it does smell sort of mildewy. Should I put all my eggs on a towel for a minute take out towels?! I don’t want to ruin everything!

Yea, i would take out the towels and just fill the resevoir. The towels are mildewing.
I’m genuinely freaking out.
I would have to remove all 27 eggs and place on a towel so I can lift the wire.
I feel like leaving the towels risks bacteria and taking them out I risk tampering and losing it all

this is terrifying

It won't hurt them for a few minutes while you clean out the bottom of the incubator. Mother hen will leave her nest to eat and drink. Have you got any spare egg boxes you could pop them in while you do it? Just to keep them safe.

I’m genuinely freaking out.
I would have to remove all 27 eggs and place on a towel so I can lift the wire.
I feel like leaving the towels risks bacteria and taking them out I risk tampering and losing it all

this is terrifying
I purposely cool my eggs every 4 or 5 days. They will be fine. The first time I incubated the lid got bumped and was off for at least day and a half. All 4 eggs hatched. The hen would get off the nest for an hour or so each day anyway.

I am so scared to touch it! I’m in lockdown!!

If I move the eggs don’t I risk moving the chicks who are getting ready to hatch?!

there’s no mold or anything visible. Just a bit of a wet mildew smell. I put the wash cloths in as some suggested (I didn’t have sponges) and I just feel sick! I don’t want to meddle and lose the whole batch but I also don’t want there to be bacteria in the towels that could kill them all! I feel damned if I do and damned if I dont!

I am so scared to touch it! I’m in lockdown!!

If I move the eggs don’t I risk moving the chicks who are getting ready to hatch?!

there’s no mold or anything visible. Just a bit of a wet mildew smell. I put the wash cloths in as some suggested (I didn’t have sponges) and I just feel sick! I don’t want to meddle and lose the whole batch but I also don’t want there to be bacteria in the towels that could kill them all! I feel damned if I do and damned if I dont!
The chicks could get infections from it. As long as there are no external pips take out the eggs without turning them, take out the towels, and replace them. It's fine. Dont overthink it 😉 chicks are resilient little things. Just put in some fresh warm towels

The chicks could get infections from it. As long as there are no external pips take out the eggs without turning them, take out the towels, and replace them. It's fine. Dont overthink it 😉 chicks are resilient little things. Just put in some fresh warm towels
Ok. Swapped out towels for new sponges. Fingers crossed and here’s to hoping!!!!

Back
Top Bottom