Smokers Paradise (for all the smokers and BBQ lovers)

Thought so! It is a great pit. Ours didn’t have an insulated firebox, so was a pain to use for competitions. Hubby had to get up about every 50 minutes to feed the fire…. Do you compete at all?
No comps for me. Too much stress, lol. Just my toy. I usually get 35 to 40 min before I have to add wood

Hello, I have a small round weber grill that I use to smoke my home grown chicken. I use the indirect heat method with 8 coals on both sides of the bottom grill. For the top grill I fold a 9x11 inch piece of foil in half until it reaches about 3 inches wide and tuck both ends on the grill to hold it in place. I do this on both sides which leaves about a 3 inch clear space in the middle.

I arrange the coals perfectly on both sides and pour a little mineral oil on the coals and light it up. I wait until the coals are white before I put my water soaked hickory chips on them. My grill can only fit a half a chicken in the middle, but it cooks it to perfection in about 1.50 hours.
DSCN0297.JPG
and its kind of easy. Once I put my chicken on the grill, I don't have to worry about it burning, so I only open it when my timer goes off.

Last edited:
Hello, I have a small round weber grill that I use to smoke my home grown chicken. I use the indirect heat method with 8 coals on both sides of the bottom grill. For the top grill I fold a 9x11 inch piece of foil in half until it reaches about 3 inches wide and tuck both ends on the grill to hold it in place. I do this on both sides which leaves about a 3 inch clear space in the middle.

I arrange the coals perfectly on both sides and pour a little mineral oil on the coals and light it up. I wait until the coals are white before I put my water soaked hickory chips on them. My grill can only fit a half a chicken in the middle, but it cooks it to perfection in about 1.50 hours. View attachment 2811624and its kind of easy. Once I put my chicken on the grill, I don't have to worry about it burning, so I only open it when my timer goes off.
That looks perfect! I found a recipe for smoking in a Weber kettle years ago and it works really well! The kettle is now deceased but now that I’ve seen your results I think I’d better get something sorted out.
Our gas grill came with a smoker box to put wet chips in but I don’t think it’s the same.

That looks perfect! I found a recipe for smoking in a Weber kettle years ago and it works really well! The kettle is now deceased but now that I’ve seen your results I think I’d better get something sorted out.
Our gas grill came with a smoker box to put wet chips in but I don’t think it’s the same.
I think the big Weber can fit one or two whole birds, not sure. It will probably need 16 coals on both sides for indirect cooking. I have one of those barrel smokers, but I hardly use it. Instead of cooking 3 birds at a time I prefer to cook what I am able to eat in a few days.

I think the big Weber can fit one or two whole birds, not sure. It will probably need 16 coals on both sides for indirect cooking. I have one of those barrel smokers, but I hardly use it.
Our kettle fit one bird comfortably as I remember, the recipe I used was for “cold smoking” which meant that after smoking for a number of hours you wrapped it in foil and refrigerated for a couple days then finish cooking in the oven. It was very good! And for me easier to not overcook it on the grill like I usually do especially with chicken.
I fixed a nice venison roast that way once and it was divine!

I use a hunters brine that I found in Field and Stream magazine 20 years ago.

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
crushed garlic, black pepper, and paprika (optional)
1 gallon water

This is the basic recipe hunters used to smoke their meat in the old days.
It taste like ham, works with other meat and fish.

Last edited:
I use a hunters brine that I found in Field and Stream magazine 20 years ago.

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
crushed garlic, black pepper, and paprika (optional)
1 gallon water

This is the basic recipe hunters used to preserve their meat in the old days.
It taste like ham. works with all meat and fish.
I'd caution everyone that this doesn't cure or preserve meat.

Back
Top Bottom