Snacks for chickens

Quote:
That chickens are vegetarians is one of the many misconceptions out there. They are omnivores- they will eat just about anything they can catch, including mice and lizards. I have more than once watched my chickens play keep-away with a frog they found underneath some leaves. It made me laugh when I looked out my window one day and saw one of my roosters smacking a baby snake against the ground to break it up so he could eat it. No, it will not encourage them to eat each other. . . mainly because they are cannibalistic anyway. You can bet if one of mine died in the middle of the night and I didn't discover the body until well after daylight that the living chickens would have no qualms about eating their flockmate. That's why on BYC we say, "Don't faint in the coop, you'll wake up missing an arm!" Chickens are related to dinosaurs, after all. They like meat, they absolutely crave protein. I mean, are they supposed to pluck the protein they need to make eggs or meat out of the air? No, they need it in their food. Now, some people absolutely do not feed their chickens any poultry meat at all so as to avoid spreading disease, and that I understand. And I would never, ever feed them raw poultry. But if I get KFC, they get to clean off the bones. At Thanksgiving, they clean the turkey carcass. They get freezerburned venison and the occasional can of cat food. Trust me, they love it!

Quote:
If they can catch it, they'll eat it. Or try to. Styrofoam is a lovely meal to their clueless brains.

Only thing I really have issues with is raw egg. NEVER give them raw egg or shells that look ANYTHING like an egg shell - ours get egg shell ran thru a grinder only. Otherwise, you'll get egg eaters started. Which become stew chickens.

I give leftover rice and noodles. I have given cans of fish. They peck at the apples I toss in the shed.

I made a really nice *salad* for them with romaine lettuce,scambled eggs,and mealworms.Dh was not pleased when I offered him a taste!

38921_treat.jpg

Cabbage is always a popular treat. I give our 6 hens half a head at a time. It's gone in a few hours.

I think their absolute favorite is a poultry carcass. After we have roast turkey or chicken we strip the remaining meat off, then boil it for stock, then it goes to the girls.

The little savages go crazy for it, playing keep away with every part they can carry.
D.gif

Quote:
I think they skipped "Chicken Anatomy 101" in school. Besides, I've never seen a chicken that could even SPELL cannibalism. Food is food, they don't know the difference. By the way, live mealworms are "crack" for chickens! Woo Hoo!!!!!

They love meal worms, yes.
clap.gif
They love:
Asparagus
Cooked Beans
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Shredded cabbage
Shredded Carrots
Corn
Sliced Cucumbers
Garlic with water
Peas
Popcorn
Peeled Potatoes
Tomatoes
Apples
Peeled Banana
Berries
Peeled Seedless Grapes
Melon
Cooked or steamed rice
Any kind of Bread
Cereal (They love Cheerios)
Oatmeal (raw or cooked)
Cooked pasta/noodles
Cheese

old.gif
Make sure they don't eat:
Avocado skin and pit
Rhubarb
Citrus
Onions
Uncooked beans
Raw potato skin
sugar
salt

Good luck with your new pets! I have two of those little rascals and they go crazy for these treats! (Especially the rice!)
D.gif

chickens are like humans what some love others will hate. so you just have to throw stuff out there and give it a while till one finds the courage to test what you have given them to see if they like it. you do need to watch the do not give list like green potatoes, the seeds of apples are poison but apples are ok, there are some flowers that will cause internal issues. I know cat food is on the list but don't know why,

My girls go crazy over watermelon, yogurt, meal worms well almost any kind of bugs except ants and squash bugs THEY LOVE SHREEDED CHEESE. speggitti noodles. oats, warm oatmeal during the winter, Pees and corn, I found out today lays potatoes chips and hot Cheetos. scrambled eggs, Meat (omg when we have taco night I now make 4 extra tacos one for each chicken they love them all.) I don't feed my girls onions just cuz they seem toxic to all other animals I want take chance. My girls love grapes but wont touch raisins

so you just have to test the waters with them, good luck you will have a blast with these freatherd family members.

MEALWORMS! Our ladies are very picky, but they absolutely LOVE dried mealworms. Their favorites are dried mealworms, puffed rice, and noodles.

Back
Top Bottom