Snake in the coop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Black racers:
"Often observed STREAKING across roads. Although agile and a good CLIMBER, spends most of it's time on the ground. When annoyed, it may make a buzzing sound like a rattler by vibrating the tail tip in dead vegetation. If grabbed, it will bite repeatedly and thrash about violently."
"Eats large insects, frogs, lizards, snakes, small rodents, and birds."

We have the Coachwhip here, or Red Racer. Here's what the book says about them:
"Perhaps our fastest snake. Prowls about during the day in search of grasshoppers, cicadas, lizards, snakes and small rodents. If cornered, it coils, vibrated it's tail, and strikes repeatedly- often at an ENEMY'S FACE. Contrary to popular belief, it does not chase down an adversary AND WHIP HIM TO DEATH."

I can see why people are scared of them. But they sure sound like they give you plenty of warning..

Quote:
I don't think it was retaliation. The OP was preventing any more losses.

No, I agree... The OP was preventing any further damage. I was saying that gutting open the snakes to take back the already dead chick/duck inside is a bit excessive.

Ducklove - I'm CRACKING UP over your picture holding the snake. I have an IDENTICAL picture of my husband doing same, holding up 6 ft long rat snake that was eating our babies. I just had to laugh. It was like deja vu. Outside, at night, same pose, everything.
lol.png

I'm generally in favor of snakes on our property because I think they perform a valuable service, but when they start eating the domestics, they've overstayed their welcome.

We also have a petstore nearby that will take them off our hands and release them some place else, but I just let them go back into our yard and usually under the coop or woodpile too, never harmed any of my birds. Rat Snakes, King Snakes, Gartner Snakes ect ect ect.

OP--I would have done the same thing
smile.png
Especially if it was eating my babies!
sad.png

We are over-run with snakes here (we live at one of the largest feedyards in Texas...you can only imagine the amount of snake-food type critters we have...rabbits and mice galore).
I don't care what kind of snake it is, I have a toddler and I will not let a snake leave here alive so it can come back and possibly bite her (yes--I have been bit by a bullsnake in my yard--not fun!). There are snakes like crazy here, it's really past ridiculous the amount of them we have, including lots of rattlers. Poisionous snake or not, I flat out don't care, if I find it it's going to be disposed of.

Snakes will also kill your chickens. I've posted this several times before.

This is a nine week old Jersey Giant that was swallowed up to her shoulders by the snake. Snake was a 5 ft Texas Rat (chicken) snake:
23095_all_photos_06-04-09_583.jpg

I've killed several snakes around my yard. I've also carried many black snakes and king snakes miles away from my home to keep from killing them. My view is if you want to just kill'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom