Snakes

Triple Willow

Songster
6 Years
Mar 1, 2013
I have found two baby snakes out this winter, dead of course. This is the first time I have ever found a snake at this time of year. Snow and ice have been on the ground for a while. Here are pics of the one I found today?

Here is a good website with information about venomous snakes...

http://www.stop-snakes.com/

I wonder if the Sentinel Q Electronic Snake Repeller really works. It seems kind of expensive. If it really works it might be worth it.

i am scared to death of snakes. I was told a few days ago that red pepper, chili powder, and cinnamon are 3 things that snakes hate along with lime that will keep them away.

i am scared to death of snakes. I was told a few days ago that red pepper, chili powder, and cinnamon are 3 things that snakes hate along with lime that will keep them away.

Cats are pretty good for snake control. A lot of times they will kill the smaller ones. One year I mixed up lime and sulfur and used that. I'm not sure if it worked for the snakes or not but I did notice a sick bird close by so I didn't use it anymore. I have heard that ammonia will help keep them away. A King Snake is really an asset to have around. They will kill the venomous snakes.

Thanks Triple Willow. That was an interesting article. I think I'll pick up a couple of minnow traps. Mostly what I see are black snakes. I have had a few copperheads as well. I actually had to get hypnotized one year the snake fear got so bad. I might have to go again this year...

Thanks Triple Willow. That was an interesting article. I think I'll pick up a couple of minnow traps. Mostly what I see are black snakes. I have had a few copperheads as well. I actually had to get hypnotized one year the snake fear got so bad. I might have to go again this year...

You're welcome. But keep in mind that if you get rid of the black snake you will just be making room for more copperheads to move in.

Ok, so do black snakes really keep venemous snakes away? Are they like king snakes in that respect Triple Willow, or anyone??

Ok, so do black snakes really keep venemous snakes away? Are they like king snakes in that respect Triple Willow, or anyone??

Most of what people refer to as "black snakes" are Black Rat Snakes which are also called "chicken snakes". NO they won't keep other snakes away. The "black snake" that will kill other snakes including venomous snakes is the Black King Snake. The color and markings of the King Snakes in your area will depend on just that, the area of the country you live in. The King Snake here where I live is actually the Black Kingsnake and the Prairie Kingsnake. You should be able to do a search for what King Snake lives in your area.

Back
Top Bottom