sneezing and runny nose

korina

Hatching
6 Years
May 13, 2013
I really need to know ok I just bought theses 2 hen and roo from a feed and seed store near where I live from day 1 they have been sneezing and a runny discharge coming out of their nose they don't have any other symptoms as far as I know I have them in my house right now but here is the thing im new at this and I have a lot of other chickens and bitties I didn't put the pair in with no one yet what should I do is there anything I can give them they r eating well and drinking good pl help ty

I've always thought that respiratory problems could be bacterial and may need Tetracyline which you should be able to buy from your feed store no problem. I could be wrong but I think respiratory problems are a problem. Good that you are keeping them isolated!

yes its respiratory illness. I treat with Tylosin or brand name Tylan50 its an excellent choice of antibiotic for respiratory illness. dose is 1/2 cc for large bird 1\4 cc for small birds given once a day for 5 days in the breast muscle. you can get the tylan50 and syringe at the feed store. many poultry owners including myself choose to treat respiratory illness successfully with Tylan50. do Not worry the bottle says for cattle many many poultry owners choose to use tylan. it works wonderfully. I choose the injection over water soluble because the dose is much more consistent and not contingent on amount drank. you should see a significant improvement in a few days after using tylan50. best wishes. hope this helps

I really need to know ok I just bought theses 2 hen and roo from a feed and seed store near where I live from day 1 they have been sneezing and a runny discharge coming out of their nose they don't have any other symptoms as far as I know I have them in my house right now but here is the thing im new at this and I have a lot of other chickens and bitties I didn't put the pair in with no one yet what should I do is there anything I can give them they r eating well and drinking good pl help ty
Before treating with antibiotics, what conditions were the two hens living in? Soiled bedding emitting ammonia fumes can cause the symptoms you're observing, as well as inhaling feed dust, type of bedding, pollen, etc....
Respiratory symptoms normally cause other symptoms in addition to what you've mentioned; bubbly eyes, facial swelling, wheezing, gurgling, head shaking. Keep them seperated and provide them feed and water, also a clean environment. I recommend that you observe them for a few days and if symptoms remain or get worse...then treat with antibiotics, or preferably cull them to prevent your other birds from getting sick. Practice and remember biosecurity.

This sounds like really good advice. I like the "wait and see" approach in case it really is just a case of them having come from chicken "ghetto" conditions.

yes but I wouldn't wait too long. symptoms can worsen very quickly. keep watch for that. my own flock started showing signs of respiratory illness about a month ago.I treated with tylan and after treatment they were better thank God. of course its on an individual basis. you have to do what your comfortable with. but do closely watch and if symptoms worsen I would not hesitate to treat. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom