Sneezing hen, winky eye, coughing

mistakenraigan

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
To preface I don't have a local veterinarian who will work with poultry. I've brought birds to them before and the solution has always been to euthanize, even though I've found ways to fix them at home and they're fine now. I'm hoping this is the same.

I have a 4 month old bantam splash cochin hen who has just recently started sneezing, coughing, and developed swelling around the right eye resulting in a winky eye. She's been otherwise active, with no nasal/eye discharge. Up until 3 days ago, she had been kept in what we call a transition brooder at my house located in our garage (we don't keep vehicles in there, so not related to fumes) which is built to give the younger birds more time to grow with extra space than we can offer in the house brooder. This hen, as well as a rooster and another hen, were kept in this up until 3 days ago when we finally transitioned them to the outdoor enclosure with the other bantam chickens. Last night was when I noticed she was sneezing, and the coughing I mentioned sounds like a really surprised clucking. If it were a person, I'd say it was like how I am with hay fever. She does have what appears to be some difficulty breathing, but I don't hear any crackles or pops. I only figure she has trouble breathing because she parts her mouth fairly wide with each inhale. If there's something I could give her that could give her a boost to fight off whatever she's got going on, I'll try it. Just don't want her to end up having to fight something much more serious because I didn't take action sooner.

It sounds like a respiratory disease. There are a number of them, both viruses, and mycoplasma or bacterial. Mold can also cause a chronic respiratory disease. They get the virus or bacterial diseases from a carrier that they have been exposed to recently. You could try Tylan 50 injectable given orally, or get the generic Tylosin powder to treat in the water. If she recovers she may be a carrier. Here is another thread with dosages and where to find Tylosin (Tylan.)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/swollen-eyelid.1544280/

Back
Top Bottom