Sneezy ducklings

Duckstail

Songster
Apr 17, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm really glad I found this form, as a new chicken and duck owner it's great to have access to a community with such vast knowledge!!

I have three Rouen ducks that are one month old. One of them started sneezing about a week ago first few days where pretty bad sneezing. Multiple sneezes in a row. I thought she had something stuck in her nostril and was having a tough time getting it out... However it did not go away, definitely not as bad as it was a few days ago...

Her stool is loose. Now one of the other ones has sneezed a few times and I'm wondering if it's contagious.

From what I can tell I'm doing a good job of keeping them clean. I completely clean the holding tanks everyday.

The weather in South Jersey's been pretty crazy lately. One day it was 86 the next day was 42.

I cannot find any sort of antibiotics at any local stores so i bought some oxytetracycline online, it should come soon.

There's no discharge from her nostrils or from her eyes she looks perfectly healthy, although today I noticed she wasn't as active as the other two.

I've been putting some oregano flakes in the water for them, they seem to love it. Also used a little bit of that VetRX. Im also given the save a chick combo.
20180417_203540.jpg
20180417_203532.jpg

Attachments

• 20180414_220954.jpg
    20180414_220954.jpg
    570.4 KB · Views: 10
What does your waterer look like? Maybe the water isn't deep enough for them to blow their noses in constantly to get rid of all the icky stuff stuck in there. Although there might not be visible discharge, ducks do need adequate amounts of water to blow their noses in on the daily basis, otherwise there could be buildup, causing them to sneeze.

There's definitely more than enough water for them to Splash around.

Attachments

• 20180417_212927.jpg
    20180417_212927.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 10
Do you notice if it’s more often right after you change the bedding or give them new food? @onaharley was it ground up feed that was making yours sneeze and gurgle? I can’t remember.:oops:
Yeah when i1st got my ducklings I was grinding up their feed and it was too powdery causing them to sneeze a lot. After about a week of doing that I stopped and gave them the crumbles as is. It seemed to help out a lot. I do notice that when I change their bedding it causes a lot of dust so I try and do it when they are bathing, so it's all settled by the time they come back out to go to bed. You're doing good by putting on the VetRx!

I feel it's too cold still. Yeah it was about 60 degrees today but it was in the 40's just a day ago. Beginning of May it's supposed to be in the 70s I'm going to aim for that day..

Anyways back to the issue I have a order of oxytetracycline coming in the mail. Is loose stool and sneezing enough for antibiotics?

I feel it's too cold still. Yeah it was about 60 degrees today but it was in the 40's just a day ago. Beginning of May it's supposed to be in the 70s I'm going to aim for that day..

Anyways back to the issue I have a order of oxytetracycline coming in the mail. Is loose stool and sneezing enough for antibiotics?
I'm in Alberta Canada and my 3 week old Calls are out in those temps...It's fine, they do fine !..I bring them in at night and provide Straw during the day..They swim in a Big bowl too all day long....

Back
Top Bottom