Snowflake Bobwhite Incubation

quailbird

Songster
May 18, 2019
Northern Florida
Hello Again, been a while. Wanted to take advantage of getting some Snowflakes while they're in season. I've never hatched this type of quail before, so just want to make sure I'm doing what I should be doing.

A total of 4 eggs came in the mail, but it appears only 2 are fertile, 24 hour settle (point down), then placed in incubator in AM. Nature rite 360 at 100 and I have problems regulating humidity levels due to being on the Panhandle of Florida with constant atmospheric changes. This is the reason I felt to set temp at 100 and not 95.5. I've got to give a small vent at the edge where the incubator closes from time to time so to adjust humidity constantly throughout the day. Explains why I don't hatch too often since it's just to much to have to attend to. Turning manually several times daily since I am at the incubator very regularly. A small saddle is noted with one of the eggs, but seems ok and may be correcting itself. Monitoring.
I'm on day 8 and 2 eggs with veining. The slightly saddle egg has a moving chick easily visualized and the other egg I can only see the veins.
Never hatched a Bobwhite before. My hatching status I would consider myself maybe an experienced beginner/early intermediate at best.

Hello Again, been a while. Wanted to take advantage of getting some Snowflakes while they're in season. I've never hatched this type of quail before, so just want to make sure I'm doing what I should be doing.

A total of 4 eggs came in the mail, but it appears only 2 are fertile, 24 hour settle (point down), then placed in incubator in AM. Nature rite 360 at 100 and I have problems regulating humidity levels due to being on the Panhandle of Florida with constant atmospheric changes. This is the reason I felt to set temp at 100 and not 95.5. I've got to give a small vent at the edge where the incubator closes from time to time so to adjust humidity constantly throughout the day. Explains why I don't hatch too often since it's just to much to have to attend to. Turning manually several times daily since I am at the incubator very regularly. A small saddle is noted with one of the eggs, but seems ok and may be correcting itself. Monitoring.
I'm on day 8 and 2 eggs with veining. The slightly saddle egg has a moving chick easily visualized and the other egg I can only see the veins.
Never hatched a Bobwhite before. My hatching status I would consider myself maybe an experienced beginner/early intermediate at best.
Do you have a calibrated thermometer/hydrometer in the incubator? Also, why are you turning manually? The incubator has a built in turning system that turns them every 45 minutes to an hour

Do you have a calibrated thermometer/hydrometer in the incubator? Also, why are you turning manually? The incubator has a built in turning system that turns them every 45 minutes to an hour
I do have an ordinary thermometer on the floor of the bator and a hygrometer. Not the good type with sensors though. Readings do correspond with the bator digital readout.
I'm turning manually because I don't have a small egg turner. Only the large one for chicken eggs Which came with the machine. One of the eggs looks good. Can candle the chick movement and veining, but as I said, there's a bit of saddle noted and I've read to try to keep the egg more in a blunt upright position. The eggs are propped blunt up. Using the large turner would allow the egg to rest on its side.

I do have an ordinary thermometer on the floor of the bator and a hygrometer. Not the good type with sensors though. Readings do correspond with the bator digital readout.
I'm turning manually because I don't have a small egg turner. Only the large one for chicken eggs Which came with the machine. One of the eggs looks good. Can candle the chick movement and veining, but as I said, there's a bit of saddle noted and I've read to try to keep the egg more in a blunt upright position. The eggs are propped blunt up. Using the large turner would allow the egg to rest on its side.
Oh I see. You are doing everything very well then. Keep us updated on this hatch.

Looking for guidance on current incubation for 2 Snowflake Bobwhites. First time, difficult hatch. I feel I describe as "difficult" more so that I live NW Florida during time of
El Nino. Humidity level is a constant problem requiring constant attention and why I feel I need some experienced BYC advisors to help guide me thru these little guys incubation process.
Eggs arrived via USPS NY->FL in timely manner.
Let sit x24 hours and did some turning (Broad up)
SETTINGS AS FOLLOWS:
Day 9
Forced air (Naturite360) @ 100
Humid: Trying to keep around 40-45 with a few spikes upwards and downwards, but my constant attention to the bator doesn't allow for spikes to last long at all. NW Florida brutal currently and has been past few weeks. Atmosphere sunny then wet, sunny then wet. Up and down see-saw constantly. My Mini-split unit is on auto and it cannot even adjust the homes interior very well.
Turning manually due to:
-- I only have the big egg turner that came with machine which means they will lay on side and don't want to prop-up with anything for fear of breakage.

I have 1 egg with a small saddle formation and the other appears good form. (see videos with egg 1 (saddle) and egg 2 respectively.

As far as correlating my readings with the bator:

Temp matches perfectly

I have auxillary Temp/Hygrometer on the floor of the bator. Humidity always lower reading at the floor and machine reading is a few points higher.
I am using the floor reading for my adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom