So.Cal here anyone else?

I am in So Cal too. In Crestline. Love the mountain living and have really enjoyed our chicken keeping. We currently have 1 Light Brahma, 2 buff Orpingtons, 4 red sexlinks, 1 black sexlink, 3 Cream Lebars, 1 Olive egger, 2 black Ameraucanas, 2 Exchecher Leghorn/Silky crosses.

Unfortunately 1 of the Ameraucanas, and at least 1 of the Exchequer leghorn/Silky crosses are little roos they are looking for new homes. Anyone interested??? They are 6-7 weeks old.
I will also be selling 2 of our red sexlinks pullets (5 months old) , and 1 Cream Legbar (6-7 weeks old) pullet once I decide who are the favorites.

I am hoping to add a few additional breeds pure bred Exchequer Leghorns, Swedish Flower Hens, and Blue Red Laced Wyandottes. I do not want to buy from a commercial hatchery if anyone could advise if they are aware of local breeders for these breeds, I would greatly appreciate it.

There is a meet up in Romona coming in September. The last meet up in Norco is were I purchased my Light Brahma.
They are in Romona www.eastcoastzoo.com go on the website and text him he will text you Back.

Happy to officially announce....

Our next MEETUP will be held in three weeks on Sunday, March 2nd from 12noon till dark? At our little homestead in Valley Center. (Please pm me for address as this is a public forum).

Potluck lunch :) I will provide a table with cups/plates/utensils, etc. And lots of lemonade. Please bring enough for your family and a bit more

You are welcome to bring your chickens, arts, crafts, other wares to sell or trade. Bring money, there's always lots of cool stuff. My daughter will have a girl Scout cookie booth :)

Please bring your lawn chairs, pop ups, and other tail gating accessories:) I have a few picnic tables and seating for about 20. P.s. If you left your chairs at my house last year, I saved them for you!

I'd like to have a raffle too please pm me with prize donations!

Very kid friendly, have a big playground and lots of room to play ;) bring your bikes!

Can't wait to meet new faces and see old friends :)

Hi everyone, frome Riverside here (city limits).

I'm beginning to mount an effort to change current chicken zoning laws in the city of Riverside, similar to that done in many municipalities across the US... As discussed at length in the forums here and elsewhere online.

I've made some initial contacts with the city of Riverside planning department and city council, but I would like to start getting together a list of interested supporters.

If you are a city of Riverside resident, or know of a city of Riverside resident, that would like to offer support, sign a petition, etc., please contact me. Seems like there is a decent amount of Riverside people on this site, so hopefully it can be a springboard.

If you or someone you know someone has experience with the city of Riverside planning department and zoning ordinances, I would also love to bend your ear.

Its crazy that I live in Mission Grove area on a lot just under 20,000 sf and can't legally keep a few chickens. Anyone have problems with Riverside zoning/code enforcement?

Hi everyone, frome Riverside here (city limits).

I'm beginning to mount an effort to change current chicken zoning laws in the city of Riverside, similar to that done in many municipalities across the US... As discussed at length in the forums here and elsewhere online.

I've made some initial contacts with the city of Riverside planning department and city council, but I would like to start getting together a list of interested supporters.

If you are a city of Riverside resident, or know of a city of Riverside resident, that would like to offer support, sign a petition, etc., please contact me. Seems like there is a decent amount of Riverside people on this site, so hopefully it can be a springboard.

If you or someone you know someone has experience with the city of Riverside planning department and zoning ordinances, I would also love to bend your ear.

Its crazy that I live in Mission Grove area on a lot just under 20,000 sf and can't legally keep a few chickens. Anyone have problems with Riverside zoning/code enforcement?
Sorry but I am not in the City Limits, I live in the unincorporated County area of Jurupa Valley/Pedly/Riverside with a little over an acre, and most around here have quite a few chickens (hens and roosters) including myself. I wish you luck getting the City to grant your wish to have chickens, I know I love mine and you should be able to have at least a few. I do understand not having roosters in the city but hens are pretty quiet most of the time.

Update: I've been in regular talks with the city planning division in Riverside regarding the process to amend the zoning laws. I still can't say they sound extremely supportive, but I believe that it will be hard for them to argue with the fact that so many municipalities around Riverside, or municipalities that are similar to Riverside, have changed their laws or have much less restrictive laws. See Santa Ana, Irvine, Fullerton, Redlands, Ventura, Los Angeles, the list goes on and on.

At this point the city planning division says that I need to submit a formal application for a zone text amendment, which will cost about $4,700 (includes an environmental study), which is non-refundable even if the amendment does not pass the city council. On top of that, the city has initially claimed that there is an additional $2,500 environmental fee due to California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). I believe that the amendment is exempt from CEQA, as has been the case in nearly every other municipality in California that have changed their chicken zoning laws. So i think we're looking at $4,700 at this point. Have others heard of fees like this being required for a code amendment?

I'm not dissuaded by the fee, as I think that money could be raised. But I have also asked the city if we can look in to using sustainable living grant money, which other California municipalities have used to cover the cost of the code change.

I've started a Facebook page to start garnering support: "Riverside for Backyard Chickens." I hope to utilize several of the green and sustainable living groups in Riverside to jump start the initiative. If you're in the Riverside area, I could use the support. Check us out on Facebook. I hope to start adding pictures tonight to boost the pages appearance and include literature on backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom