So.....Chickens can swim.....sort of......

bdjh

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Winnipeg
So, a couple of times a week, we'll take our 7 girls and put them in the fenced pool area, and let them go crazy eating the crickets and grass. We're always with them, so there's no danger of anyone drowning. One or two dogs are usually out there at the same time......one looking for the delicious treats that chickens leave behind (shudder), and the other just ignores them and sleeps in the sun.

Anyway, one of the dogs decided to chase after something, and scared one of the chickens (a leghorn) into the pool. I thought I'd be jumping in and doing mouth-to-beak resuscitation, but to our surprise, the chicken calmly swam back over to the side of the pool, and with a flap of its wings, just jumped right back out.....all by herself! She gave a good shake, and went right back to cricket-hunting.

Her 'swimming' looked a lot like a duck, just not as graceful, and with a bit of flapping involved.

I was blown away. I had always thought they'd just get bogged down and sink.

I doubt she would have lasted more than a minute or two, but the fact that she intentionally headed back to the edge was surprising.

Anyone else ever have their chickens fall or jump into water?

Last edited:
While swimming in the lake once I thought it would be fun to put a chicken in the water. Now of course I didn't just throw her in, I slowly and gently lowered her into the water and she loved it! She swam around like a duck! She is a silkie so I'm thinking that her feathered feet acted somewhat like paddles, and she floated just fine. It was hilarious.
lol.png

Chickens are able to swim for a short time, but then their feathers will become waterlogged and they will sink like a rock. Their feathers do not repel water like duck feathers do.

Last edited:
I had a sweet little White Rock Bantam, that couldn't keep herself out of the pool. If there was something floating in it, she would want to jump on it. Well, one morning I woke up and found my sweet girl Rose, drowned in the pool. She must have just died, because the water was still slightly moving. I pulled her out, and cried my eyes out holding her wet body against me.
hit.gif
I never want to see that again. Its a good thing her sister, Bella never took to liking what was ever in the pool. I miss her so much too.

Back
Top Bottom