So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

I see this thread has went on for a while. I tend to skip, so forgive if this has been mentioned. Have you considered housing the chickens in your current barn? It already has a roof. Pick a spot and adapt that area for whatever indoor needs a chicken will have and figure a way for access outdoors. If you leave the door open all day, then that’s settled too.
Thanks for the idea, but nope, don't want them in my barn. it's already full of stuff.

I am a single older woman and I am not skilled at construction. Most coop kits are too heavy to deal with. I purchased a 9'X13' walk-in run from Omlet and attached an Eglu henhouse to it. I was able to assemble them all by myself and I love it! I have four Barred Plymouth Rocks, a large breed, and they are very happy with the accommodations. I can walk around in the run and keep things tidy. The Eglu has a slide-out poop tray that makes it super easy to clean. 😀🐓😀

This is a great plastic shed build: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-scoop-on-a-rubbermaid-big-max-coop.76444/

Except in extreme circumstances it should never be necessary to wet-clean a chicken coop. :) Dry chickens are healthy chickens.
Yeah, I just would like to be able to clean it out twice a year. Without them in it of course and it would be dry before putting them back in. But pressure spraying the walls down and putting new bedding and the old bedding in compost.

Yeah, I just would like to be able to clean it out twice a year. Without them in it of course and it would be dry before putting them back in. But pressure spraying the walls down and putting new bedding and the old bedding in compost.

Changing the bedding is, of course, required.

But actually washing the coop is unnecessary unless you've got some sort of serious issue that require deep-cleaning and disinfecting.

Our old wooden coop would melt if power washed!
We scrap out the 'big hunks' when shoveling it out, try to remove cobwebs occasionally, and call it good.
Commercial 'all in, all out' facilities, often with a million or more birds at a time, do the essential power washing. Doing it after depopulating every bird, in the face of a disease, makes sense too. Otherwise, it's more for you, than for the flock.
Mary

Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?
Hi Ben. Wow, I love what you have here! I really do! It looks like the girls have enough run space and the barn and tree look like they have shade on hot days when they need shade, the barn looks great, so they have protection there. It doesn't appear that you need anything else, other than what you want to add for your liking.
I have a chicken wired 7x9 and 9 ft tall, enclosed space in my small backyard for my three girls. One day, if my strength allows, I might increase their run area.
I have three girls and I opted out at having a rooster. I have one of the girls that seems to want to have chicks.
My neighbors around me have roosters, [ I can hear them], they are nice to hear during the morning and during the day.
But back to your question, "do you really need a Walkin coop," if what we are seeing in the picture is their home, it Looks to me, like your girls have a save home. Have fun! Mr. Backyard chicken farmer! It looks good to me! [smile].

Good finds!

You are doing this so you can watch chicken tv in your back yard and have a fresh egg for your breakfast every morning! Oh yeah, and so you can throw away that obnoxious alarm clock! 🤣
BigBlueHen53,

The pallet coop 2022 has begun. Not bad for 2 days of 3hrs each of work I think.....using a hack saw, a hammer, and a screw driver(my cordless drill bit the dust). I only have 1 blister and a big scrape on a knee to show for tmy hard work so far lol. I have enough lumber for 2 walls so am going after pallets a specific length in a couple moments to have enough to finish up.

Attachments

• IMG_20220806_140649279_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220806_140649279_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 32728220587151038401660162758357.jpg
    32728220587151038401660162758357.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 89690208686038739101660162767040.jpg
    89690208686038739101660162767040.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220810_161750278_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_161750278_HDR.jpg