So I got myself into a problem 😆

Okay, let's start over. Apologies for being so blunt.

Can you write out the rooster breeds (and if they're mixes, what they're mixed from if known) and what hen breeds (again, and mixes and what mixes if known) and how many you have of each hen.

How many pens do you have for adult birds, and can you build more if you need/want to.

Okay, let's start over. Apologies for being so blunt.

Can you write out the rooster breeds (and if they're mixes, what they're mixed from if known) and what hen breeds (again, and mixes and what mixes if known) and how many you have of each hen.

How many pens do you have for adult birds, and can you build more if you need/want to.
That's okay! :hugs

These are the roosters that I will use for breeding:

I will go out this afternoon and get some more pics. I have 17 roosters but butchering day is coming. I am keeping 3 roosters.
Jack - Black Australorp x Rhode Island Red
Oscar - Barred Rock Rooster
Moose - Olive Egger

These are my hen breeds:
I have Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, New Hampshire Red, Black Australorp, Sapphire Gem, Splash Orpington, Olive Egger, Easter Egger, Black Sex-link, Rhode Island Red, Light Brahma, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Black Copper Maran, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Golden Comet

We go twice a year to visit family for for about a week. I use a barrel feeder with 200 pounds of pellets which is more than enough for my thirty birds. I use multiple 5 gallon waters to make sure a leak or other malfunction doesn't affect their water supply. I do have a neighbor check in each day, but she has not needed to do anything for the chickens. I just let the eggs pile up and clean the nests out when we return.

As far as your turning your eggs, chick, and pullets into a profit, good luck. Many find by the time they figure the cost of feed and housing for their birds they are lucky to break even. Recently I saw someone getting ready to sell eggs on line and was excited to see what others were getting. In the end they asked why would anyone sell or by online (eating eggs). Turns out the high price others appear to get is mostly going to the price of shipping.

Haha - chicken math at its best! :gig

Maybe start to put differently coloured slip ties on them according to their age and pure breeds or mixed breeds to gain some overall insight/overview.

Next sell off all the mixed breed chicks and youngsters.

Choose the ones you like best and plan to breed AFTER your vacation. Just remember: It is easy to have a few hatches when back from your vacation, so just keep the few birds you need for it.

This should leave you with a manageable few for a possible house/animal sitter to take care of and also help to keep the feeding cost considerably lower.

What are the breeds of roosters you're going to butcher? None of the ones you listed are valuable or interesting breeds. You'll have a hard time selling mixes, even mixes like olive eggers most likely. And barred rocks are everywhere, unless yours are really high quality heritage BRs you won't be able to sell them either. Everyone has barred rocks. I'd keep whatever birds you have from Meyers. The other two hatcheries sell really poor quality birds. Your Meyer birds will be the best quality and more valuable.

Back
Top Bottom