So I got myself into a problem 😆

What are the breeds of roosters you're going to butcher? None of the ones you listed are valuable or interesting breeds. You'll have a hard time selling mixes, even mixes like olive eggers most likely. And barred rocks are everywhere, unless yours are really high quality heritage BRs you won't be able to sell them either. Everyone has barred rocks. I'd keep whatever birds you have from Meyers. The other two hatcheries sell really poor quality birds. Your Meyer birds will be the best quality and more valuable.
The roosters I'm butchering are mixed breed - non from Meyers.

IMG_1345.png

https://www.bantamclub.com/online-store/start-where-you-are-book

So.... I am up to 120 chickens and have more on the way and I don't want to be a true farmer. Like staying home and not having a vacation to the OBX every year. But there's no one that can chicken sit so I am thinking about letting my numbers go down for now and still putting that incubator to good use. Selling the chicks to be able to go... because it's getting really expensive to rent a beach house. Do you think if I raised started pullets and hatched and sold chicks I would make money over time? Would I sell any? What should I sell them for?
I am also taking trapping school for coyotes to help a farmer down the road that is having problems with them killing his chickens and dragging them off into the woods. I can sell a coyote hid for 25 dollars each ruffly.
Any opinions are welcome! Thanks for your input!
If you are selling purebreds (especially if you get NPIP certified and can ship) you can make some money. I have been breeding and hatching Silkies, Easter Eggers, Olive Eggers, and Sebrights for the last 2 years and this last year I made a gross of a little over 2K. Not to brag....because I can't brag because I spent about all of that on getting my Holland Lops lol. 😂 😂 But you can at least break even.

Also my chick prices are $8-12 each. I started out selling them for $5 each. If you would like to make business out of it I would recommend making a business page on Facebook (I know that is sort of old school now) but I have found there is TONS of people that love chickens on there and it is easier to 'advertise' on there.

The only thing that I can really pair up woth your birds is a barred rock pen. I guess any blue layers could go woth the olive egger to make blue and green layers, and the rest just go with the mixed male, but that's really the only pen that I would see having much potential out of the breeds

Back
Top Bottom