So I got our first chick... unplanned... with two clubbed feet.

My daughter decided she wanted to stop by and tell the nice shop owners that the little chick passed away (and to get strawberries). They gave their condolences and offered 3 more challenged babies to bring home and give some loves too. This time we had a different approach to the 'project' and decided we'd give them their best chance in a loving environment but we're expecting them to pass away. So if one makes it, it'll be a happy accident. (And the shop owners will likely have more late next week.)

Well this little bunch has one new challenge I'm not sure what to do about. They are all less than 48 hours old, red sex links, but two of them walk on their elbows. That issue is paired with curled toes so I went ahead and wrapped the toes. I'll give that a try over night hoping that it will be more comfortable for them to walk. But any ideas on how else I could fix the elbow issue?

My daughter decided she wanted to stop by and tell the nice shop owners that the little chick passed away (and to get strawberries). They gave their condolences and offered 3 more challenged babies to bring home and give some loves too. This time we had a different approach to the 'project' and decided we'd give them their best chance in a loving environment but we're expecting them to pass away. So if one makes it, it'll be a happy accident. (And the shop owners will likely have more late next week.)

Well this little bunch has one new challenge I'm not sure what to do about. They are all less than 48 hours old, red sex links, but two of them walk on their elbows. That issue is paired with curled toes so I went ahead and wrapped the toes. I'll give that a try over night hoping that it will be more comfortable for them to walk. But any ideas on how else I could fix the elbow issue?

Ok, I admit I am opinionated on this subject. Really? They gave handicapped chicks to a little girl to try and save? How sad. Ok, before your daughter gets her heart broken again by dying chicks (and these chicks should all be put down, they will never be right). Find a local breeder and buy your daughter some chicks which are healthy and of which she can be proud. . These chicks can't be fixed. Where are you located? Come on over to the Heritage Large Fowl thread Phase II.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/849075/heritage-large-fowl-phase-ii/4900#post_13057034
Lots of experienced folk there who would be happy to help you find Sussex or whatever other breed you want from quality lines. Birds she could brag on and show, if she wanted. Nice healthy chicks. Looking forward to seeing you there. If I had chicks on the ground, I would send you some for free. But the winter has delayed my hatching season. Please come. If the chicks are for your daughter, please tell the list so.
You deserve better than this,
Best,
Karen and the Light Sussex
in western PA, USA

Last edited:
I don't have experience with chicks like that but couldn't you just get some splints like lingaB had for her chickens feet i would think that would fix the problem. So sorry about you chick :(

It's a mutual gamble. My daughter is incredible and prefers to try to save the ones that would otherwise die. We do have plans in May or so to start our flock more 'officially'. So there's really no harm to her. But I appreciate the concern! :)

All chicks are still with us. And one chick made a full recovery on her foot and leg! She is hopping around like she never had an issue! I'm a happy chick mama for that one. The other two had there wraps freshened so we'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

All chicks are still with us. And one chick made a full recovery on her foot and leg! She is hopping around like she never had an issue! I'm a happy chick mama for that one. The other two had there wraps freshened so we'll see what tomorrow brings.
smile.png
ya.gif
wee.gif
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom