So I have decided to do Black Australorps for meat birds I have a quick Question

Mygirls20

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Colorado
My husband and I love our egg laying chickens and and want to move over to meat birds. I have done research and have decided on the Australorps I was just wondering at what age (from hatch on) can we start to butcher? I have read a few things people say 8-10 weeks is that right or should I wait longer?

Started my first flock back in Sept. I got a stright run of BA from McMurry Hatchery. I processed the roos at 16 - 18 weeks, didn't have any scales but IMO they dressed out around 4 lbs. I'm in eastern KS and it got down to 4 degrees last night. The temp didn't phase them a bit. I kept 2 roos for my 14 hens for eggs and to self sustain. 1 roo started crowing about two weeks ago, and my second one a few days ago. Now the waiting game for eggs.
Here are a few pics

Since an Australorp is a dual-purpose bird, not officially a meat bird, you can slaughter anytime. I prefer 16-20 weeks, as then the meat is still tender but flavorful and you have a good sized carcass (at these ages my Wyandottes were 3-5lbs dressed out). At 8 weeks an Australorp has barely hit 1lb, but the meat will be less strong tasting and more tender.

Ok ya I thought that 8-10 weeks sounded a little young. I guess it will just be more of a learning on my feet thing. I think I am going with the right breed hopefully I am. I just need something that can really handle the cold (I live in the mountains in Colorado) I have one black Australorp right now and she handles the cold better then my other chickens plus she is super sweet and very gentle with my kids.

I think Australorps make great meat birds, very roundy with meat on their bones (rather than some that are long and skinny). If you were doing Cornish X broilers you would slaughter them at 6-9 weeks, and if you were doing black broilers you would slaughter at 7-10 weeks, but I would not call either of those hybrids "hardy"! Good luck with your chickens, I think you've made a good choice.

With those dual purpose breeds I've decided to cut my loses and butcher younger when they're still somewhat tender even though they haven't reached full size, after 12 weeks or so they don't put on meat as fast and they still consume a good amount of food. Do roosters are cheap, I don't mind them being on the small side as long as I can still grill them up. On a side note I have one to a friend that should have been tough as can be, he smoked it and said it was excellent. I'll have to try that
Oh I love smoking mine!!!! I use an injector and let it sit overnight then smoke on a low temp for 10-13 hours... YUMMY!!!

Ya I also wanted chickens that would lay and have chicks I dont want to have to buy chicks all the time. Do you know how the roosters act? Are they really loud that was another one of my concerns I dont want a super noisy roster lol

Especially if there is more than one rooster...then they will crow match throughout the day...they crow at everything...Time to get up, leave us alone, who's in the driveway?, what was that noise?, Stop looking at me, that's mine, time for bed...so on and so forth..So any roosters are noisy, no breed has a quiet rooster. If you liked you could get all hens and then find an older rooster..As long as he is the only one...I used to have just one old rooster, and he would crow a couple times in the mornings, and then silent all day...But then I got a silkie rooster, and man oh man are they hilarious. Tiny rooster trying to out do the huge rooster. Tickles me...but I live in the country, and our neighbor's dogs bark all the time, so what the hey? We are just going to order the Jumbo cornish from murray mcmurray and then eat any plump roosters that appear in the laying flock...and that should do us.

Last edited:
15 weeks is starting to get on past the age you are shooting for to have a tender chicken for frying. If they got tough on you you should have to adjust your cooking method, a slower roast or crock pot should tenderize them quite well. Supermarket chicken is processed by 8 weeks if not before, that is why it's tender, I would suggest going with a meat bird if you want grilling frying birds, something that will be ready to butcher by 8-12 weeks ideally, the meat birds will have a lot more meat as well

I like slow cooking my meat birds because I raise the black Australorp birds. They are big and take longer to reach good butcher size unless you want small birds.

I'm actually about to process my 10 bigger roosters this week. Going to try to post pictures in the meat bird forum and would gladly take advice to speed up or refine my process. It's time to get new blood for the flock so I'll be buying a rooster chick this year.
1f602.png
just have to keep him apart or marked. I've got 30 eggs due to hatch in a few days.

Last edited:
Ok ya I thought that 8-10 weeks sounded a little young. I guess it will just be more of a learning on my feet thing. I think I am going with the right breed hopefully I am. I just need something that can really handle the cold (I live in the mountains in Colorado) I have one black Australorp right now and she handles the cold better then my other chickens plus she is super sweet and very gentle with my kids.

Back
Top Bottom