So I went to a Belgian Supermarket and looked at the capons

KiekenKot

Chirping
Dec 18, 2018
Belgium
I love a good walk trough a supermarket in this time of year, and see what is on offer. It turns out to be quite a long list, but one thing that I assume is not seen so often in other parts of the world is capons. Yes, castrated roosters. They are supposed to be much larger and juicier than regular ones.

They are a major christmas tradition in France and Belgium, and an expensive delicacy. They come in yellow (maize fed) and white versions. They are also whoppers! The heaviest bird I saw during my very brief investigation weighed in at 3.6 kilos, and that's without head, feet and internal organs. It was no smaller than the turkeys in the same cooler on the very left. Poor thing must have been a monster in life!

Other than that, there are several other varieties of chickens, like the French saint Sever brand chickens (there are also capons from that brand), and the local "Mechelse koekoek"(Malinois) chicken. It's a bit strange that Wikipedia claims this is a threatened breed, as you can just buy these in a regular Belgian Carrefour supermarket.

And then there is the other birds. There are whole turkeys, (only sold fresh, not frozen) of course, and while it is perfectly acceptable to eat a turkey at Christmas, it's not a major tradition; turkey suffers a little from its reputation as cheap, bland and dry meat. The local tradition is more toward capon and game.

There were also ring-necked pheasants, peafowl, quails, ostrich, wild duck, tame duck, squab, wood pigeon, and I think partridge too. Oh and foie gras, no actual goose though as far as I could tell. Though I think you can buy confit of goose and rilettes tinned.

What are the more unusual things for sale in this time of year in your part of the world?

Attachments

• 45469418415_4ff65e3676_k.jpg
    45469418415_4ff65e3676_k.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 45658713094_083e4b624d_k.jpg
    45658713094_083e4b624d_k.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 67
Very interesting.

Around here ( middle part of the USA) it varies as to what can be found depending on the size of the city/town, or the ethnic demographics of the neighborhood, but often you can ask the market manager to order specialty items (frozen)... or if in a metropolitan area you can travel to a different store location where they carry different traditional items.

Some of the best selections I’ve seen are in neighborhoods that have a large diversity of ethnicity.

I used to see capons for sale around thanksgiving and Christmas here... they were frozen, kept near the frozen turkeys.

Not sure if they are readily available these days as I seldom get to town, let alone the grocer. But I’ll have to look this weekend.

I generally see frozen ducks and geese around the holidays as well.

We do have grocer here that carries frozen quail, rabbits, and frog legs here all year long... I always wonder how well they sell?

Some of local meat packing plants smoke turkeys on a pre-order basis... and in our area there are a few larger scale smokehouses that carry smoked fowl as well.

On the subject...I always liked this picture:

different-types-of-poultry-Mlle-Chou-Fleur.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried them once and I'm at a loss on what the appeal is. Not all of the things I mentioned are on sale all year round, though. At least not in regular supermarkets.

I miss the markets that we had in Germany when we lived there... so fresh! The whole culture around shopping and eating was SO different. Instead of loading up on a weeks worth or more at a time like in the US, you went everyday or every other or so, so that everything was fresh. Then you took your time with dinner, especially if you were out with friends. It was totally normal to sit for HOURS. Very different from the corporate efficiency of American chain restaurants who strive to get you in and out as quickly as possible.

We have a local market called "Jungle Jims", 2 of them now. They're MASSIVE, over 1 mile of produce in the new location. If they can bring it in from any part of the world, they do. The Kangaroo was dry, the Alpaca lacked flavor. The rattlesnake was too expensive to try. Ostrich is good. I couldn't tell a significant difference between a Capon and one of my 22 week Bresse cockerels, besides size.

When it comes to food, I'll try anything once! Unless it's a spicy challenge. Anything that sets my mouth on fire isn't food to me. Hahaha

I watched videos on making Capons, the guy made it look easy but I can't even Vent Sex a day old chicks. My vision must be too poor to see the organs, how can I remove the organ if I can't even see it? Has anyone in here done this?

Back
Top Bottom