So, I'm thinking of raising some meat chickens...

Megan H

Hatching
Sep 25, 2017
Good morning, everyone!

I'm new to this website, so I won't keep y'all too long. I have egg laying chickens right now, and a large variety, but I'm interested in expanding my "herd" to include the meat breeds, as well. I'm mostly tired of paying for store bought chicken without knowing where it comes from, what it's been treated with, etc. Here are my main questions/concerns..

1) How do you find is the most humane, yet easiest, way to..."harvest", so to speak...the chicken when it is time to butcher it? I kind of have a soft spot for animals, but when it comes to feast or famine, I'm willing to give it a go.
2) Approximately how long does it take to process the chicken once it's been "harvested"? Am I looking at hours upon hours of feather plucking, or something relatively quick given the task?? Also, is it a daunting task to pluck them?
3) What are the best breeds for dark meat lovers? I'm looking to just get 1 or 2 different breed to start.
4) What are your favorite tips/tricks for preparing delicious and tender home-grown chickens? Can I freeze them like store-bought, or do I need to use them right away??
5) Do I need to keep these separate from my egg layers for any reason?
6) Any other comments you may have for me would be much appreciated. Please no negative comments or criticism. I'm just trying to provide a healthier alternative to store-bought foods for my little family.

Thanks in advance, y'all!!

Back
Top Bottom