So interested is cross breeds for hybrid vigor and characteristics.....now the quandry....

I've got 40 eggs in the incubator- mostly from the red hens crossed with the Australorp roos. Excited to see how they grow up to look and lay. Also ended up getting 4 Ameraucana pullets to cross with the red/Aussie cockerels later this summer. Should make a really hardy olive egger.

Good luck with the hatch. :eek:)

The eggs from the Black Ausralorp rosters and the RSL hens are hatching today. Half are black, half are white with black spot on the tail. So cute!

I surely will. Still hatching. Some of the white one have black spots sparsely scattered. I wasn't counting on the Black Australorp Roo and RSL hen crossing yielding either black or white chicks- but it makes sense- looked it up on the chicken color calculator. The Aussie roos are obviously black. The RSL are from a Red roo and a white hen with the silver gene. Odds are that offspring will be 50/50 white or black regardless of sex (not sexlinked).

There are a few eggs in the mix that are pure Australorp and a few from production red hens that the calculator predicts will be black as they do not have any silver genes.

They should be great layers.

The white ones remind me of the crossed I'd done with commercial leghorn hens and production roos. Thy came out white with black specks.

Will send photos later.

Back
Top Bottom