So i've decided to build a coop

I like the look of the feeder. I am interested also in how the color holds up. You did good making it not look like PVC!

I too agree NO OSB for the walls. Floor ok but not the walls. I personally do not even like it for the floor unless there is sheet goods going on on top of it. It tends to chip and separate as well as to many little nooks and crannies for poo and critters to get into. (Thinking mites)

Regular siding is about 26 dollars a sheet and well worth it in my humble opinion.

recamadation
I wouldn't use regular osb. they do make some siding materials, tho.

if I did use that siding, I would make sure of a few things. the cut ends, would get a coat or two of good exterior paint, seal the ends. even tho it comes primed, anywhere I put a nail or screw hole would worry me, so I would put a coat or two of quality exterior paint there also.

I'd also put a coat of paint on the inside.

trim all corners, and be sure it doesn't get any ground exposure. I would not use it for the floor of the coop, no matter the prep or finish.

I have seen threads by people who say they did not paint their smart side and it is holding up fine. I am definitely painting mine, I am waiting for the weather to break but it will be painted.

I have seen threads by people who say they did not paint their smart side and it is holding up fine. I am definitely painting mine, I am waiting for the weather to break but it will be painted.

Thanks, I "want" to paint mine, but I've got so much going on I am not sure when I can get to it. I know I shouldn't paint it if chickens are in there, so if I am going to do it, I need to do it before they move in.

Been following your progress on this thread. Your coop is looking great! Awesome job on piecing it together and posting updates of each step. My hubby is about to start building ours. Ours will be smaller by about half, but it's great to see how the framework comes together, as this will be our first real building project. :) Thanks for this thread! Looking forward to seeing your finished coop!

Been following your progress on this thread. Your coop is looking great! Awesome job on piecing it together and posting updates of each step. My hubby is about to start building ours. Ours will be smaller by about half, but it's great to see how the framework comes together, as this will be our first real building project. :) Thanks for this thread! Looking forward to seeing your finished coop!

Much appreciated. :)

I painted the inside of mine and simply did it while they were out for the day. I used latex paint and a sprayer since it is a huge coop. The day I chose to do it was very warm as well which helped with the dry time. I also have a lot of windows that I opened up to aid in the air out and of course I left every window open for a few days. (Nights included)

The outside did not matter if they were in there or not as the latex paint does not have much fumes to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom