So i've decided to build a coop

I would agree very impressive!

I have used those clip style hooks and they do work well.

One thing folks forget to share....... The hooks even with the spring on them can flip when you enter a run and lock you in the run. If even just the tip of the hook goes in the eye you can become trapped. I know the hard way. It was 45 minutes in the morning trapped inside since I did not have my cell phone on me before anyone realized I had not come back in. Yes there was loud laughter from my "rescuer". I use a hasp style on my run now as I have to actually lock my run and coop to keep thieving neighbors out.

The hooks with springs do keep racoons out.

Good points! For my coup and run door i am using hasps with D-rings. I'll rig up an ""Escape" line just in case.

The chickens have landed!

Two Barred Rocks
Two Blue Laced Wyandottes
Two Cuckoo Marans
One Buff Orpington
One Ameraucana

They took to their food and water right away. My wife added marbles to their water. I think she's worried they'll tip in and drown or something. Now they are all huddled under and around the heater.

They are adorable for sure. Nice selection of breeds too.

The marbles are a good idea as sometimes they will fall asleep right next to the water and drowning is a real concern.

Congrats on the new additions ...................... waiting for chicken math to hit now lol.

OH and one more word of caution on the latch for the run. Even a hasp can lock you in if the wind is blowing. It can send the hasp over the twist latch and BOOM you are in and stuck. I keep the lock in the twist so if it does swing the lock stops it from locking me in.

Last edited:
Got locked out of my shed because of a freak hook and eye flop...had to kick the door in pop the eye out of the wood.

What kind of bedding is that? Fine wood shavings?
Might want to put the feeder on something solid so they don't try to eat the shavings....
...I use a tote lid on brooder floor the first week for food and water.

Marbles are a good idea, have read of asleep in water drownings.

OH good point aart! I had forgotten about them eating the shavings.

I put paper towels on top of the shavings for the first week to prevent it and had the food and water in a flat lid too.

Chicken math almost raised it's ugly head while my wife and daughter were getting the chickens. Yikes!

There were so many varieties, they wanted them all. Thankfully reason won out and they remembered my warnings that only so many chickens can fit in the coop. I built it to accommodate a max of 10, thinking the cuteness might get the better of them. Still glad it didn't.

I put the paper towels down and a couple came right out to check it out, then started eating. Thanks for that suggestion and warning ya'll.

If you had forgotten to attach the hardware cloth to the inside of the frame, you could have put it on the outside and then covered the join with a thin strip of something.

So the coop is done. Just some minor things to do still, like screen in the vents, do the eaves, install the pop-door and do the linoleum floors.

I had two good friends help me out a bunch today. The build was done in 7 hours and went exactly how i had planned for the most part. I had meant to take step by step pictures along the way, but we were doing so much i didn't take any until we were done. My wife snapped a few mid-build pics.

Here is the framing done. We are putting on the first piece of siding. Using a router to cut out the openings was awesome. So fast and 100% perfect cut with the flush cut bit.

Good help is so hard to find. Here are my buddies laying down on the job.

These are mostly pictures of it completed.

I also took a couple pics of the inside. Here is looking in the nesting boxes from the outside.

Looking in the window to the right (nesting boxes) and the left (pop-door). The roost and poop board can be seen in both and is opposite the window.

Venting!

And finally, a coop-warming gift from a friend of my wife's. This will go on the inside for to be pooped upon.

Back
Top Bottom