So...silkies are the dumbest birds ever...*UPDATE!!!*

Well, I must have some real wierdos, because my 2 roos have always roosted.
tongue.png
Their coop has roosting rods that are 6 ft. high and that's where they prefer to roost. They just hop from the lowest roosting rod up to the highest. You can see our blue silkie on the very top roosting rod (2nd one in between the maran & BO).
idunno.gif

16560_our_adult_chickens_04_05_09.jpg

A couple things to remember with silkies, as already mentioned they don't fly and they do not jump as far as regular chickens. They like to rest their feet on a flat or large diameter surface probably do to the 5 toes. The countries they come from originally are very cold climates and they tend to huddle very close together of a night. Hard to do lined up on a branch. They are also very very social almost as much as my ducks staying close together even while free ranging. I do have one that is a loner and she goes off by herself.

Most of mine don't roost, and have never offered too. I had a grey roo that did, on a roost about 2' off the ground. I also have a black hen that roosts on the same roost, but she lives with the japs and millies right now. So I think it also has something to do with their surroundings. My whites have never roosted, but they have always been together, with each other. My black and grey were with other hard-feathered birds, and they roost.

My silkie roo, Opie, and hen, Foxy, do roost. They like the top board on the roost, about 4 ft. off the ground. Even my 12 week old silkies like to roost. Both coops have a ramp (board) for them to make their way up to the roost.

LOL! I never thought about it but mine never roosts either.
To the other poster about the guineas. You are correct. My guineas were the dumbest birds I ever owned in my life. They could fly over my house but would drive themselves crazy trying to figure out how to get over a 4 ft fence
he.gif

I am down to 1 and when it's gone - no more!

Quote:
Yeah I don't know what I was thinking after I did get rid of my five guineas, I have two eggs in the bator getting ready to hatch.
roll.png

What was i thinking? My husband said lets just pitch em and pretend like they did not hatch. I just couldn't do it. Maybe this time they will be different. YEAH RIGHT! HAHA! I think I should put a collar around their necks and tie them up in the field and teach them how to graze while they are little LOL!!

Well I am a silkie snob. The only kind I will ever have. Mine roost on a shelf. They jump on the hay bale up to the shelf.
I trim my silkie's eyes too but they still act like they can't see, unless they're non-bearded. Silkies are beautiful and unique.

It looks like the smartest of the silkies have it figured out! I have 2 out of 4 birds roosting!!! (Amazingly enough...they're NOT the white ones!
big_smile.png
)

I knew it would only be a matter of time.....
wink.png

Didn't doubt it for a second....
wink.png
hide.gif

All of my silkies love to roost
hu.gif
Though my roost is only about 12-14 inches high. They usually jump up there. Of course.. these are hatchery birds so I dont know if that has anything to do with it.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom