What breeds have you kept across your chickening life and why?

That's me, trying to get as many breeds and colours in a small backyard flock as space will allow!

I was offered a Partridge Brahma bantam recently and was really tempted because they are so BEAUTIFUL!

But my 'no feathered feet' rule prevailed and I declined. Little bit sad though.
Why no feathered feet? I absolutely love feathered feet! If i could do it id have about 100 chickens and each one be different😂

Why no feathered feet? I absolutely love feathered feet! If i could do it id have about 100 chickens and each one be different😂

Because we have so much rain here, that it's only dry about 3 months of the year. The rest is just constant wet and mud. I live rurally and the chickens with feathered feet end up with muddy clay clogs half the time. And I've had real problems getting rid of scaly leg mites in those breeds. I had a poor silkie cockerel who suffered for years.

Because we have so much rain here, that it's only dry about 3 months of the year. The rest is just constant wet and mud. I live rurally and the chickens with feathered feet end up with muddy clay clogs half the time. And I've had real problems getting rid of scaly leg mites in those breeds. I had a poor silkie cockerel who suffered for years.
Oh, well that stinks. Atleast here i can just wash the dirt out of their feathers. Ive never had scaly leg mites yet luckily.

Is this common for high production breeds? Im just getting started and saw my leghorn and RIR may lay up to 300 eggs per year. What issues can I expect?
Those two are better because they are hertitage breeds. I have heard of ISA browns and some of the sexlinks having the most problems, but really, it can strike any breed, sadly. The higher layers have a slightly higher chance, but I just had a wyandotte die from internal laying. You never know.

Haven't been doing this long, but EEs and silkie mixes are my favorites. I know neither are breeds, but I think its because they are mutts that they are so endearing, lol.
My list would be half as long on top if I included all the cross breeds! They have their own charm and character don't they. Also, you never quite know how they will turn out and the guessing is fun.

Are used to get the McMurray hatchery choice when I was younger every couple of years so I've had most at sometime or another. The ones I've actually focused on raising at some point though are
Barred Rock
White Rock
Buckeyes
Light Brahma
Black Copper Marans
Serama
Gamefowl
and currently Icelandic.

I've also had several types of ducks, brown chinese geese, bourbon red and royal palm turkeys, peacocks, guineas, quail, and pigeons

Are used to get the McMurray hatchery choice when I was younger every couple of years so I've had most at sometime or another. The ones I've actually focused on raising at some point though are
Barred Rock
White Rock
Buckeyes
Light Brahma
Black Copper Marans
Serama
Gamefowl
and currently Icelandic.

I've also had several types of ducks, brown chinese geese, bourbon red and royal palm turkeys, peacocks, guineas, quail, and pigeons
What are your favourites?

What are your favourites?
Gamefowl and Buckeyes. The Icelandic are still chicks though

Games can basically just take care of their self and are extremely predator savvy. The buckeyes don't quite have the egg production as some of the other large dual purpose breeds but all of my hens would go broody about once a year, which made it possible to raise some chicks without having to incubate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom