So there was a new law passed allowing keeping chickens in Gwinnett County last year, does it includ

DesiMurgha

Songster
7 Years
Aug 16, 2016
So there was a new law passed allowing keeping chickens in Gwinnett County last year, does it include Lawrenceville (30046)?

Im considering buying a home on 5+ acres near the Cramac Plantation in Lawrencville GA 30046 and was unsuccessful in finding answers whether I could keep some chickens in my back yard (of course 100ft away from any dwelling).
Also theres no HOA so thats a good thing but just wondering what the new laws are now and if they apply
to this zipcode/area etc? And what about horses or Peacocks on the 5+ acre property?

Much appreciate any of your inputs/experience/advice etc

Welcome to BYC! Have fun! I have no answers for your questions. I do not live near there, but hopefully there is someone here that can help you!

I'm sorry I wouldn't know. You can try posting on your state thread and see if the locals have heard anything. Just put state name in the searchbox and it will come up for you. Could you call town or village hall, in the actual place you intend to move?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've pretty much tried everything from calling to leaving messages with no luck. The county operators
lack the knowledge and just circle me to other people who really dont know much. Its strange that you can have so much land yet cant keep
some innocent little chickens!

Hi and welcome to BYC - maybe calling your county Hall offices might be a good place to start?

Best of luck
CT

Hey there! So, technically chickens are legal in Gwinnett County as of an ordinance passed last year. It's based on lot size. If you have a quarter acre, you can have 3 chickens, if you have half an acre, 5 chickens, and so on. Over 3 acres, no limit (but no roosters unless you are zoned in agricultural or residential agricultural area). The bad news...in LAWRENCEVILLE (and city law trumps county law) if you are within city limits, "animal husbandry" is allowed in agricultural zoning only! So, you would have to check and see how you are zoned. Hope that helps :)

Side note, if you would like to help change this law, a few of us are trying to push for backyard chicken keeping to be legalized! Any and all voices are supportive and appreciated. We just founded a facebook group called Chickens for Lawrenceville, that should have some information in the next week or so on who to contact to show support for chicken legalization. Feel free to add yourself!

Well the home I was interested in buying was 5 acres but in City limits so no chickens. I let it go
I wont be looking for homes there unless they have Agri Zoning. Thank you for all the info.....my home search continues!

Back
Top Bottom