So they were supposed to be Australorps....

ZombieMadHatter

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2018
Hi all, I'm new to the site as a member but not as a viewer, I have come to this site many times for advice and information and it has been great. I decided what the heck, may as well join up
So I bought some chicks at Tractor Supply last Fall and well they were supposed to be Australorp Pullets
Well they are all boys and they are not Australorp and they kind of look like Barred Rocks but then again not.
So they are about 4 months old and they are going through feather changes and molting. But can anyone tell me what breed they are? Or if they are Barred Rocks. I honestly just am curious lol, (they also have makeshift no crow collars on until I receive their other ones) also their run is a mess because we went through a huge thaw and then it snowed again (I guess I'm a little self concious that people will say my chickens look sick and their housing is inadequate or gross)

Attachments

• 20180112_163118.jpg
    20180112_163118.jpg
    728.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180112_164330.jpg
    20180112_164330.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180112_164757.jpg
    20180112_164757.jpg
    734.3 KB · Views: 19
Looks like Barred Rocks to me. Sorry. However, they are a great breed so unless you have your heart set on returning them or whatnot they're excellent layers and are docile.
Don't worry, my run looks like a mess sometimes too. I mean, they're chickens, and they don't really mind either. They look very content!

bycstored pictures.PNG
:welcome Coop and run look fine . All roosters :thIf they all look like that they are bared rock roos just young and not from show stock for sure . If you could repost the pictures so we could get a better look . it would be great . To start your uploaded pictures are here click on this icon
bycstored pictures.PNG
to open your stored pictures. Next click on the picture give it time to load before closing the window . Next you have three options for image upload . Use this one
Capturefull image.PNG
This gives us the clearest and largest picture to go by.

Thanks everyone, I couldn't believe when I got them they would be the wrong breed and gender lol it was just my luck. I still love my boys and couldn't care less if they were show quality or not I just had no clue what breed they were and ended up saying "well definitely not Australorps."
I will definitely have to get more pictures of them.

I agree that they are almost certainly black sex link cockerels. Sadly you will be getting no eggs from them. TS are notorious for getting their chicks mixed up.

If you decide to get some pullets for eggs, you will need to keep them separate from these guys as that will end up with the pullets being seriously overbred and the boys most likely fighting. Some people do keep their surplus cockerels in a bachelor flock and indeed I did for a year until I realised that I was becoming a slave to them for no return.... Now I process my surplus cockerels and keep that in mind right from them being identified as male so that I do not get attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom