So what do you think?

tigerlilly2588

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
murfreesboro
I have three young roo's that I am very attached to but they are reaping havoc with my flock and other roos. I was wondering do they eventually grow out of fighting, etc.? Does anyone know of any reputable place to get roosters nutered and how much it would cost? has anyone ever gotten this done before? If you do that do they stop crowing...not that it matters really, I just want them to get along....

Sounds like you are really attached. There is a thread on here about caponizing roosters, one even has links to pics etc..

With that many roos, the chaos will continue, but if you sterilize them, they will most likely calm down and get fat.

I don't think they will grow out of fighting. An avian vet should be able to neuter them, I googled avian vet tennessee and got this - http://www.avianweb.com/recommendedvets.htm#TENNESSEE:

Avian
Medical Services, Inc. - Mobile avian veterinary and consolatory practice, servicing Kentucky, Indiana & Tennessee

Collierville:
Shannon McGee, D.V.M. - Collierville Animal Hospital
474 West Highway 72, Collierville, TN 38117 - Tel. (901) 853-8519

Knoxville:
University of Tennessee - College of Veterinary Medicine - Exotic Pet Clinic
2407 River Drive, Knoxville, TN 37916 - (865) 974-5667

Maryville:
Dr. Rosemary Jones
324 North Washington Street, Maryville, TN 37804 - Tel. (423) 681-8431

Nashville:
Dr. Lutz - West Mead Vet Clinic
990 Davidson Drive, Nashville, TN 37205 - Tel. (615) 356-1152

Just wondering why you want so many. Seems that 10-15 hens per roo is ok. Special breeding concerns? If not, stew pot / freezer camp is the likely choice, or rehome.

Quote:
This is reported to work very well

That's what I've read and I plan to do it if I get the okay to even have roosters at all here.

There's this park East of Sacramento (Folsom City Park), sometime over the past 10 years or so, the place has become a dumping ground for unwanted roosters. There are roosters all over the place, all coexisting totally peacefully.

Back
Top Bottom