Soaking feed

Fermented feed...keeps birds well hydrated in hot climates.

I was tired of watching our ducks almost choke on dry feed (then spit up half their feed while gulping down water to try and wash it down) so that's what gave me the motivation to start up fermenting again

These particular problems can also be solved by getting the feed wet and serving it immediately. Faster and easier than fermenting.

I serve wet feed as a treat. I wet an eighth of a cup of crumbles per LF chicken and serve immediately. 20200714_212143.jpg . GC

Fermented feed does have a chance of becoming moldy, while if you use wet feed properly it doesn’t. Soaked feed only lasts good for 1-4 hours, and should be placed in the sun so mold doesn’t start growing. Normally you don’t make huge batches of soaked feed, so it’s easy just to take a few cups of feed and mix it in with water for a meal.

Fermenting feed is a lot more complicated then that, and that’s coming from someone that only even looked into the simple steps before deciding it was too much work.

Nah, it's usually pretty simple. I think people overcomplicate it. Yes it's extra work but no more than dumping feed and water in a jar, and I like the fact that between fermented and serving wet feed (which is what I do with pellet or crumble dust) it's reduced my feed waste to maybe 1% at most.

Fermented feed does have a chance of becoming moldy, while if you use wet feed properly it doesn’t. Soaked feed only lasts good for 1-4 hours, and should be placed in the sun so mold doesn’t start growing. Normally you don’t make huge batches of soaked feed, so it’s easy just to take a few cups of feed and mix it in with water for a meal.

I have never had moldy fermented feed, even when it sat out for 24 hours in my quail hutches. The pH gets too low for mold to grow. It also cannot harbor bacteria such as salmonella, e coli or campylobacter.

"When using back-slopping and fermenting at room temperature over 24 h, the pH decreased from 6.2 to 4.5, lactic acid reached average concentrations of 190 mmol/kg feed, and the numbers of enterobacteria decreased below the detection limit which indicates that the applied fermentation method is suitable in achieving an effective sanitising of the feed."
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ion_and_activity_of_the_intestinal_microflora

Nah, it's usually pretty simple. I think people overcomplicate it. Yes it's extra work but no more than dumping feed and water in a jar, and I like the fact that between fermented and serving wet feed (which is what I do with pellet or crumble dust) it's reduced my feed waste to maybe 1% at most.
I don’t care about feed waste too much, as the chickens eat it all up after they are done anyways, but I still can’t stop wondering why fermented feed wouldn’t have alcohol in it, so I’m not even considering it an option until I get a straight answer.

I still can’t stop wondering why fermented feed wouldn’t have alcohol in it

Maybe it depends on what bacteria and yeasts are present? Yoghurt doesn't have alcohol, bread dough doesn't have alcohol (possible exception for some sourdough forms), and people making beer typically add yeast.

I don't actually know, just speculating here :)

I don’t care about feed waste too much, as the chickens eat it all up after they are done anyways, but I still can’t stop wondering why fermented feed wouldn’t have alcohol in it, so I’m not even considering it an option until I get a straight answer.

It's the type of microorganism doing the fermenting. Fermented foods contain lactic acid. The by product of the bacteria that causes fermentation (lactobacillus) is lactic acid. There may be a very small amount of alcohol produced in the process of fermenting foods but the amount would be too small to even be detectable and it often converts to vinegar (acetic acid) because of the presence of oxygen (that's why stirring fermented feed is important).

Alcohol on the other hand is produced by a specific yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and have ethanol and carbon dioxide as their by products.

It's the type of microorganism doing the fermenting. Fermented foods contain lactic acid. The by product of the bacteria that causes fermentation (lactobacillus) is lactic acid. There may be a very small amount of alcohol produced in the process of fermenting foods but the amount would be too small to even be detectable and it often converts to vinegar (acetic acid) because of the presence of oxygen (that's why stirring fermented feed is important).

Alcohol on the other hand is produced by a specific yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) and have ethanol and carbon dioxide as their by products.
Okay, thanks for explaining that. I’ve heard that it’s because there is no yeast, or that fermenting things doesn’t make alcohol, but I’ve also heard that yeast is used in the process and normally fermenting things does make alcohol, it’s why you don’t eat fermented fruits really. Oh and fun fact, fruit bats actually can handle more alcohol in their stomachs than we can because their whole diet is eating rotten fruits and stuff off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom