Soap Makers Help!

That is an impressive list of scents! I also have some small amounts of FO's that I think I just need to split up a batch and use it up. I use loaf molds, so I think I'll just make some sort of divider and make a few smaller loaves..? maybe.

Two Part Question:

- Is there any kind of calculator out "there" you can put a lotion recipe in that can give a simple analysis of the probable result?

-
Is there a spread sheet available you can look at to substitute oils in a particular recipe?

I want to make a moisturizing lotion and I like most of the "www.teachsoap.com" recipe by Anne-Marie Faiola (honestly I liked everything about it except for the smell of the shea butter). Thank you for sharing it Morgaine.

I plan on switching out the Shea butter for the refined version (I just can't stand the smell of the regular shea butter) and I actually I want to make a few more changes such as, I'd like to substitute Macadamia nut oil for the sweet almond oil and to use Camelia oil instead of jojoba. Does this sound ok?

Any lotion makers on here that have experimented with any of these oils?

I also got some rose hip oil but don't like the smell of that either.

Any body interested in talking about lotion?

Last edited:
I don't know enough about the oils to give you a good response. My best advice is to figure out exactly what properties the different oils add to the lotion. I've just started my lotion research, but it will be a few months at least before I start making any... Just a lot of research to do first! It's so hard to say without researching each individual oil first... Some will make a "stickier" lotion, a heavier or lighter lotion, etc, even if they're both liquid oils. But, I have heard that you can pretty well replace any light oils with other light oils, medium with medium and heavy with heavy. I'm not sure how much different it will leave the actual feel of the lotion though, and remember that some oils have a much shorter shelf life than others!

Quote:
I total up the number of ounces by weight of oil in my recipe and multiply by .38. I use a saponification chart for the % for lye for each type of oil. It lists oils and their sap level. You multiply the number of ounces of a particular oil by it's sap level and that give you the amount of lye it takes to blend the oil, lye annd liquid. Using a soap calculator is easier but I'm old-fashioned. I tweak for superfat on the sap chart too.

OK. I am trying to get through all 488 pages of this thread, but was getting a little overwhelmed...so, took the bull by the horns and jumped in with both feet. I have my very first batch of goat milk soap in the mold.
Here is where my questions come in... Do I let it go through the gel phase or prevent the gel stage? I see on here people do it both ways. We raise dairy goats (nubians & saanens) so, I really only want to make goat milk soap, but I would like to do it the best way possible. So far I only have a lid on the goat milk soap, I did not wrap it, it sounds like wrapping milk soap may get it too hot??? I hope I am doing this right...time will tell I supose.
idunno.gif
:fl
Christie

P.S. I would love some pointers and recipes for goat milk soaps from anyone willing to share them!
big_smile.png

I must confess, I started reading this thread (from page 1) about a week ago; I am on page 227 now and boy am I itching to get started.

I did a search on Craig's List for goats milk and found it for $5 a gallon. Is that a fair price? I found a few listings for $3 a quart so I'm thinking that $5 for a gallon is pretty good. (I know that price is always dependant on where a person lives. I am in Southern California so everything is high.) What do ya'll think/pay?

PS Thanks for all sharing of your knowledge and great information.

Quote:
We've been buying it for $8 a gallon in South Mississippi.

This is what I pay as well.

Milk soaps are not my only line, but any reipe can be used with milk. There are some listed in this thread and the other one. Use of them and just sub out milk for water. MullerLanesFarm has a great site that is great for making milk soaps, check her site out. She is listed on the reference thread in my signature.

Back
Top Bottom