Soft egg laying under roost

I use their egg shells as well. We have a bowl in the fridge and when someone makes eggs, they put the shells in the bowl( broken in pcs), when the bowl gets full, I put in microwave for a few mins to cook any raw egg still on them and transfer to a Qt jar in the fridge. I put their shells in a separate dish so they can use as needed.Seems to work great, usually when their out of shells, I have a bowl in the house ready to go. I have a bag of oyster shell that I've only had to dip in 1 time when I didn't have enuf egg shells.

I have an EE and she hasn't layed an egg for over a year. She is only 2 years old and only layed her first until she reached her molt and hasn't layed an egg after that. She isn't sick and looks healthy. Any idea why she isn't laying?

For the last 6 days there has been a soft shelled egg under the roost, it always happens at night. I think it's my RIR. I give GRIT, EGG shells, oyster shells, and leftovers. I thought it would straighten out after a few days but I had another this morning. My RIR has just started laying and she is a giant girl, a bit deceiving. I never see her in the nesting box and her comb has just turned bright red. How much longer should I give her to work it out or should I cull her? My chickens are loved but I got chickens for eggs and don't want to feed a chicken that doesn't give me anything back. She is the only RIR that I have, she is not on the bottom of the pecking order, and she does have some buddies in the coop. Any suggestions? Thanks

For the last 6 days there has been a soft shelled egg under the roost, it always happens at night. I think it's my RIR. I give GRIT, EGG shells, oyster shells, and leftovers. I thought it would straighten out after a few days but I had another this morning. My RIR has just started laying and she is a giant girl, a bit deceiving. I never see her in the nesting box and her comb has just turned bright red. How much longer should I give her to work it out or should I cull her? My chickens are loved but I got chickens for eggs and don't want to feed a chicken that doesn't give me anything back. She is the only RIR that I have, she is not on the bottom of the pecking order, and she does have some buddies in the coop. Any suggestions? Thanks
It happens now and then. Don't cull her! Our one hen is a RIR and not only she layed these at first, but so did the barred rocks now and then. It normal! If you're giving oyster shell(we do) stop the egg shells. You don't need all that. Grit and oyster shells.

I'm not an expert but When I started raising chickens last year I had a few soft eggs too when they first started laying. I think it has to do with the fact that their bodies are adjusting to the process. I havent seen it since.

I'm not an expert but When I started raising chickens last year I had a few soft eggs too when they first started laying. I think it has to do with the fact that their bodies are adjusting to the process. I havent seen it since.

That's exactly the reason, and no reason to cull a hen. So hang in there. More normal eggs will come. It's been awhile since we've had one, knock on wood.

I have had my young chicks first egg come out with a rubber shell. This is normal. If it is a older chick then maybe oyster shells would help. Oyster shells help produce a nice shell. I mix a small amount of oyster shells right in there feed.

Back
Top Bottom