Soft egg laying under roost

P.S. gravel also helps them digest there food. All found at feed store.

I get Grit at the TSC or RKO farm stores. A big bag lasts forever. I keep it in a feeder that hangs on the wall and they take as they need it. The same with oyster shell. I give layer crumbles and oyster shell at laying age.

Glad to hear it's not only my hen with the crazy eggs, a few days ago I found a hotdog looking egg, long tube and today I found this one with no shell too, she has access to oyster shells and her eggs are usually very hard, not sure what to think.

Glad to hear it's not only my hen with the crazy eggs, a few days ago I found a hotdog looking egg, long tube and today I found this one with no shell too, she has access to oyster shells and her eggs are usually very hard, not sure what to think.

Well all is back to normal, so must have been the weather. :)

I am not certain what is causing the soft or leathery shells but I have been giving my three beauties oyster shells. I started with the smaller chick grit and now the oyster shells. I am thinking that they had no role model to teach them so they are learning as they go in regards to roosting and laying. My first time with these girls was three eggs.and the second day I got three more. The same thing where one was a soft shell on the shelf and two more just yolks in the poop tray. I am not going to get too concerned as yet because this is their first and second times laying. They get good food, bugs, and love to forage.so it seems to me their systems are just getting started in the world of egg laying.

So I thought I was done with the soft shelled eggs but in the last few days my same hen has started laying them again in the run, then she turns around and eats them! She has oyster shells, they get good food, treats, bananas, apples, grapes etc... It's crazy. I do get a random good one in her nesting box.

Whew!! LOVE this forum!
I was all worried wondering WHY I am finding weird and squishy eggs in the mornings!! hahaha. We have 16 ladies and have been getting about 9 hard shelled eggs a day for the last few weeks :) During this time I found the odd squishy shell but this morning there were 4!! So I promptly ran to the house, kicked off my rubber boots, put on my Sherlock hat and started to search the forums for a solution...
What a relief to learn it's just a maturing phase! I already have them on Layer with a side of Oyster if they like. Sounds like it will all work itself out, yay!

Thanks for the information fellow cluckers!!

Last edited:
Found my FIRST "rubber egg" today....kinda freaked me out! And also found it to be layed on top of a previous "rubber egg" that I must have missed yesterday, that was broken...In the same spot on the coop floor!
I suspect both eggs are from my Leghorn RUNT of 28 weeks, that is stressed due to "pecking order" the others are so mean to her!

Not sure what to do to help her! Any ideas?

I have had a chicken laying soft eggs for a while now. My 8 hens were just 23 weeks old yesterday, but they have been laying for over a month. I wasn't able to figure out which one was laying the soft eggs until this morning. I was in their run, and I looked down to see my SLW all fluffed up at my feet. She moved a couple of inches, and there was a soft, otherwise perfectly formed egg. She remained fluffed up and then when she moved there was an egg yolk. This matched up perfectly with the fact that when there was one soft egg, there was always a SECOND one with it. Also, I got one double yoker a few days ago. My hens get a gmo-free layer feed, as well as oyster shell distributed in several places. I read that greens were also a good source of calcium so I have been giving them all some kale once a day for about 5 days. They have a tunnel down to an area where they free range during the day as well. Today, after reading this thread I made a small batch of oatmeal that I added eggshell, and banana to. I fed that to the SLW(also known as Chicken Noodle)by hand. I had to because the other little piggies wanted some too. I didn't want to have to separate her from the other girls. She ate quite a bit, and she is otherwise quite healthy. I will report back with the outcome. Hopefully, I can help her with some additional nutrients, or she grows out of it.

This is an old pic of her from June.

Do you leave grit AND oyster shell in with them? I had a couple of soft ones when our hens were starting out, but it normally(with given the proper things)fixes itself. Sorry, but I don't agree with egg shell. It's not that pricey to get the oyster shell & grit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom