Soft egg laying under roost

I got the exact same thing today. My white leghorn pullet just started laying two months ago and she has been a very consistant layer but her egg shells are a lot thinner compared to my other pullets and hens. I bought some free choice oyster shell and put it in the coop so she could eat it if she needed it. That was about a week ago. Today I found a white egg on top of the small coop, inside the run. The shell was so thin that it cracked when I picked it up. My lab got it as a treat :D

. Here is an egg (well, two) that are both rubber and attached by a tube. We are getting regular rubber eggs from one of our 12 hens. Don't know who as they are free range and share nesting boxes. Confused as to what to do as we have lots if oyster shells and good feed. All other eggs are normal.

I read somewhere - maybe the chicken chicks website? That repeated weird eggs can sometimes be caused by different infections. I think it said respiratory infections. Are you seeing any sign of that?

I've had rubber eggs laid both inside and outside of the nesting box. I've also had crinkled up shells (no egg inside) on several occasions, and of course, the occasional wind (fart) eggs.

Here's a weird one we got:

It was the same size as my 6 year olds hand and when we cracked it there was another fully formed hard egg inside of it along with the yolk. Weirdest thing I've ever seen...

one of my hens was also doing this soft egg shell so I gave her some grit and a higher protein base food and it sure did help. this also helps for molting warm water and dog food for a treat.

I got the exact same thing today. My white leghorn pullet just started laying two months ago and she has been a very consistant layer but her egg shells are a lot thinner compared to my other pullets and hens. I bought some free choice oyster shell and put it in the coop so she could eat it if she needed it. That was about a week ago. Today I found a white egg on top of the small coop, inside the run. The shell was so thin that it cracked when I picked it up. My lab got it as a treat
big_smile.png
Please remember we are dealing with the chicken's reproductive system. I had 1 hen that didn't start laying until a few weeks after her sisters. I finally figured out that she might not be the same age as the others that I got when I got her. So, I just watched her. She finally laid an egg. No shell found, just the egg under the roost. I kept an watchful eye on her and she finally started laying in the same nesting box as the other 3. It was like she watched them and finally joined in the fun. Henny has a different laying cycle than the other 3. She lays for 6 or 7 days straight, then she takes a day off to rest. Her eggs are just like the others. From what I could find on here, that could be a normal laying cycle for her.

I did find blood on the outside of an egg which was laid the day after a "Fart" egg was laid. I checked the eggs from the day before and found blood inside one shell and an yoke and a half in the other egg. Just a production mishap. These hens are so much smarter than I am about what they need and how to help each other. I watch them interact with each other and I am just amazed beyond words. They live so orderly and get along so much better than some people. Enjoy your girls....

When my young Red Star first started laying eggs she had a couple of soft shelled eggs that she laid while roosting.

One of the nights she actually laid 2 fully formed soft shelled eggs in a single night (I checked the night before when I put them to bed). She is the only brown egg layer I have so I know they were both hers. 2 days later she laid a double yolk egg with a normal shell. Her system was just starting to get used to the whole egg laying business I suspect because her eggs are completely normal now.

I have 3 ladies about 7 1/2 months old, they have been laying since July, and for all three of them, their very first egg, was a soft shell, every one after that have all come out fine, some of their eggs, do come out a tiny bit mis- shapen, with small bumps or grooves, on them but the eggs themselves are perfectly fine and I've never had a bad egg out of any of them.

Back
Top Bottom