worms in 1 month old bantam chicks please help me save them (warning: pictures)

I would try fenbendazole as it is supposed to be highly effective against cesatodes. I would give 1 mg/kg for 5 days if its paste or 1ml/liter of water for 5 days if you want to put it in a water source
Thank you very much! I will update if I could get another dewormer suggested or I go with the one I have

My experience with Fenbendazole is that it does not treat poultry tapeworms. Praziquantel will kill them. I've dealt with tapeworms.
Thank you for share your experience! I will take note! Do you know something about the combination of albendazol, pirantel palmoate and praziquantel?, because that is the one I have right now. It says for dogs and cats.

I agree with the praziquantel but since they are so young it may work so well that when the worms die/come out it will stress their bodies to much and they are already in bad physical condition. I would do very small amounts In intervals to allow their bodies to catch up and heal progressively.
I was thinking about that but I was not sure because when I read about dewormer or antibiotics it usually says less dosage can be ineffective. In case I do that do you mean small amounts in a day or many days, ex: if I need to give them 1 drop: 1/2 drop in morning and 1/2 drop in the afternoon, or 1/2 drop in two diferents days? Thank you!

Praziquantel only needs to be given to birds showing tapeworm strands and/or tapeworm segments in feces. The vector for tapeworms in poultry are infected insects that have consumed eggs expelled from the tapeworm segments.
Not all insects are tapeworm infected, which is a good thing.
Praziquantel is given once, then repeat in 10-14 days.
I agree that a small quantity of praziquantel should be given to smaller birds.
For example; dosage for Equimax, which contains Praziquantel and Ivermectin is 0.03ml per pound of weight or 0.15ml for a 5lb bird.
View attachment 3830529
Saddly there are no Equimax in my country Bolivia, but the dosage is what I fear because it will be similar with other medicaments and if I need 0.011ml, 0.012ml, etc it will be harder to measure. I saw the eggs or larvae in the parents and one chick, I'm sure about that, but the day before yesterday I saw in another chick too but yesterday I only see them in the parents and one chick, but the thing is all the chicks have below the vent a purple/dark color and the same thing I saw in the one who died. What if chickens eat directly the eggs or larvae of the worm, it wont be affected? I saw in a video about tapeworms if I did understand good in case a worm is not in the final host it can become cystic in organs or muscles, I hope does not happen but in the chick that died it had yellow circles in its liver. I lost the opportunity to make a better "necropsy" in order to make it better for my other chickens, saddly.

I would also give probiotics because the worms are already taking a toll on them and the dewormer will be a bit harsh so you’ll want to fortify their guts as much as possible.
It could be human probiotics or it needs to be poultry or animal probiotic? I'm sorry I'm ignorant in that matter. They can be intoxicated with too much probiotic or there are no consecuences with eating too much probiotic? Right now I only have natural yogurt but I read that too much yogurt cant be bad for them, so I think I can get probiotics in order to give them more but I don't know how much I will need to give them.

It could be human probiotics or it needs to be poultry or animal probiotic? I'm sorry I'm ignorant in that matter. They can be intoxicated with too much probiotic or there are no consecuences with eating too much probiotic? Right now I only have natural yogurt but I read that too much yogurt cant be bad for them, so I think I can get probiotics in order to give them more but I don't know how much I will need to give them.
Yoghurt is fine for them and so are human probiotics. Just always make sure they also have some clean water to drink.

Thank you for share your experience! I will take note! Do you know something about the combination of albendazol, pirantel palmoate and praziquantel?, because that is the one I have right now. It says for dogs and cats.
Each ingredient is used to deworm poultry.
It is a combination product against round worms and tape worms.
I am not sure the dosage.
DVM has this:
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/praziquantel
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/pyrantel
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/albendazole
From your label it looks like you need to do some math to work out mg/ml.
Looks like the ingredients list is for the full bottle.
How many mls in the bottle. You need that information to translate the DVM dosages into how many mls/kg to give a chicken.

Yoghurt is fine for them and so are human probiotics. Just always make sure they also have some clean water to drink.
great! I already gave them the yogurt and gladly they have drink it, It's cold here and I was thinking if they would drink a cold yogurt in a cold day, but gladly they did it! The sad thing they do not want the growing feed I bought for them, maybe because the sudden change so I let them go for the seeds and I will make some egg mixed with their feed, I hope that works.

great! I already gave them the yogurt and gladly they have drink it, It's cold here and I was thinking if they would drink a cold yogurt in a cold day, but gladly they did it! The sad thing they do not want the growing feed I bought for them, maybe because the sudden change so I let them go for the seeds and I will make some egg mixed with their feed, I hope that works.
Sometimes they prefer the grower feed made into a mash with water.
I sometimes make it with water and then mix it into yoghurt.

Each ingredient is used to deworm poultry.
It is a combination product against round worms and tape worms.
I am not sure the dosage.
DVM has this:
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/praziquantel
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/pyrantel
https://poultrydvm.com/drugs/albendazole
From your label it looks like you need to do some math to work out mg/ml.
Looks like the ingredients list is for the full bottle.
How many mls in the bottle. You need that information to translate the DVM dosages into how many mls/kg to give a chicken.
That's the harder part, the dosage, 15ml is the bottle and I don't know the Vehículo C.S.P...100ml thing I know is the same as excipients, but it confuses me more is why 100ml in a 15ml bottle and how they affect the others ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom