Soft egg shell after blowout...normal?

PuggyDawn

Chirping
Mar 20, 2019
Lakehills, Texas
My Lavender layer was laying blue eggs just fine and then she laid this MONSTER of an egg and had a terrible "blowout"! I did all the necessary steps to take care of her: separated her from the flock, inserted her vent, used preparation H, etc. I fed her twice with Oyseter shell in 30 days.
She laid her first egg since the incident. It appeared to be a normal blue egg. Intact, shape, color. When I picked it up, it was soft. Not mushy, mushy, but definitely soft...I would not eat it.
Should I have fed her more Oyster Shell?
Thank you in advance for your help!

A thin shell or shell less egg indicates low calcium levels. These can cause serious problems as they are very hard to expel compared to normal hard shell eggs. This can result in a stuck or collapsed egg and a prolapsed vent as what I gather you mean by "blowout".

If that ever happens that she has an egg stuck, the first thing to do is give a calcium supplement such as calcium citrate as it helps strengthen contractions to expel the egg. This is also what I suggest to fix the shell less egg issue. One tablet a day until the eggs are coming out normal.

Back
Top Bottom