Soft egg

McReynolds

Chirping
Jan 7, 2022
Have four hybrid hens that were given to me, think there about 2 years old every so often I get a smashed soft shelled egg, coop kept clean plenty of water and calcuim offered and no preditors. Anything else I can do that would cure this and encourage laying?

Have four hybrid hens that were given to me, think there about 2 years old every so often I get a smashed soft shelled egg, coop kept clean plenty of water and calcuim offered and no preditors. Anything else I can do that would cure this and encourage laying?
Calcium offered...what and how and are they eating it?
Hybrid birds can start to have issues at that age.
I see you have another thread where you didn't show pics of the issues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-of-wattle-and-another-has-dirty-bum.1506931/

I put a few oyster shells in with the main food to encourage them to eat them 🤷‍♀️
Not a good idea in general.

Well hens bum cleared up with some washing and apple cider in water for a short while did the trick and combs are lovely and red now so didn't need pics thankfully , just concerned as only got 2 eggs a day when I first got them in Sept last year and concerned will I end up with less eggs when it hits spring if I don't nip soft egg issue in the bud now

Soft shells may also be an indication that the hen has had a respiratory infection in the past. Infectious Bronchitis or Newcastle disease are the most likely infectious causes of soft shelled eggs if you've ruled out any dietary causes.

just concerned as only got 2 eggs a day when I first got them in Sept last year and concerned will I end up with less eggs when it hits spring if I don't nip soft egg issue in the bud now
When birds are first moved the stress from a new environment can cause a cessation of lay.
Hybrids often do not lay well after their first couple of years.

How about.....
Calcium offered...what kind and how and are they eating it?

Back
Top Bottom