Help 1 Hen has yellow crust round bottom of wattle and another has dirty bum

McReynolds

Chirping
Jan 7, 2022
New to keeping hens got 4 hens in September at this point only getting 2 eggs per day, is this less our normal amount for time of year? Also just notices one of my hens has yellow crust on wattle hen is active and eatting well should I be concerned? Also one of my hens came to me with a dirty bum white pasty dry bum feathers washed it a few times but hasn't gone away should I be concerned about this our just let it work itsself out?

Hello and welcome to BYC!
If you are able to add some pictures of your hen that would be great. Do you know what breed they are? Hens need a certain amount of light to produce eggs. During the winter, even with a lamp, egg production slows down or stops completely. It will pick up again in the Spring. Some chickens are fluffier than others and get messy on their bums. You should clean any big buildups. Buildups on feces can lead to some major health problems. Little streaks shouldn't call for concern or major health problems. Not seeing what the yellow crust is, I would guess it might be feed powder stuck to her. Again pictures would be helpful :)

Hello and welcome to BYC!
If you are able to add some pictures of your hen that would be great. Do you know what breed they are? Hens need a certain amount of light to produce eggs. During the winter, even with a lamp, egg production slows down or stops completely. It will pick up again in the Spring. Some chickens are fluffier than others and get messy on their bums. You should clean any big buildups. Buildups on feces can lead to some major health problems. Little streaks shouldn't call for concern or major health problems. Not seeing what the yellow crust is, I would guess it might be feed powder stuck to her. Again pictures would be helpful :)

Thanks so much for replying as its all new to me get worried about everything, bought them for the eggs but there now my fluffy pets :):)Will hopefully get out later to take pic hens look happy just a yellow crust that's on wattle also at back of head, I mix dry oregano in to feed as I trad is good for them do you give your girls any herbs etc to keep them health?

Of course! Anytime you have questions feel free to ask them! This is a great community. For good egg production/health ladies you want to give them oyster shell/crushed calcium in their feed or in a separate feeding dish. If you mix it in with the feed you wanted it to see it speckled throughout. Oregano is fine.. they can have almost anything leafy green that humans can eat. You do not want to give them too much bread or oats as treats because the hens could develop sour crop. Apple cider vinegar (about a 1/8 cup) to a half gallon of water helps with immunity, hydration, and internal parasites.

Do you have any pictures of the crust on her wattles or head? What are you feeding? Clean off the dirty bottom and trim any excess fluff. Look for signs of lice or mites, or lice eggs at the base of her feathers. How cold is the temperature there? Crust on wattles can be a sign of frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom