Soft eggs and shivering

MotherHen75

Songster
Dec 18, 2018
South Carolina
My hen is a little over a year. She is an amerecauna, and she’s been laying soft eggs. We didn’t know who the culprit was at first, but this morning i saw part of a soft shell hanging out her butt. She also shivers when she moves, and has a bit of a bumpy eye but i’m not sure that’s related. She will not eat oyster shells, we put it in their food though. We mix crushed egg shells in their food as well. Could someone help?

Attachments

• 3EAEB295-CBE3-4568-A4F9-982D111EB8CC.jpeg
    3EAEB295-CBE3-4568-A4F9-982D111EB8CC.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 8
  • 8418DA0E-2C49-4869-AA2A-7322512B4F6E.jpeg
    8418DA0E-2C49-4869-AA2A-7322512B4F6E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
My 2 1/2 year old RIR was doing that this past summer. I read that it could be salpingitis and a lash egg. I didn't do anything but give her some crushed up tums and let nature take it's course. She's still with us but I think she's no longer laying. If it's salpingitis, it's an infection of her reproductive system and she needs a vet visit with antibiotics. I would try to the tums first to see if she starts laying normally.

My 2 1/2 year old RIR was doing that this past summer. I read that it could be salpingitis and a lash egg. I didn't do anything but give her some crushed up tums and let nature take it's course. She's still with us but I think she's no longer laying. If it's salpingitis, it's an infection of her reproductive system and she needs a vet visit with antibiotics. I would try to the tums first to see if she starts laying normally.

Thank you

My hen is a little over a year. She is an amerecauna, and she’s been laying soft eggs. We didn’t know who the culprit was at first, but this morning i saw part of a soft shell hanging out her butt. She also shivers when she moves, and has a bit of a bumpy eye but i’m not sure that’s related. She will not eat oyster shells, we put it in their food though. We mix crushed egg shells in their food as well. Could someone help?

more calcium!! Mine did that too!!

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
So she's about 14 months old?

Does she always 'shiver' when she moves?
Can you get some video of this?
Vids must be uploaded to youtube then linked here.

Is her belly(from just below vent to down between legs) swollen?
Is her poop normal?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
So she's about 14 months old?

Does she always 'shiver' when she moves?
Can you get some video of this?
Vids must be uploaded to youtube then linked here.

Is her belly(from just below vent to down between legs) swollen?
Is her poop normal?

Her poop is normal. This morning i saw another deflated soft egg. No swelling and you can’t really see the shivering, but you can feel it if you hold her. No she doesn’t always shiver but it’s still notable. They are free range, they get bugs and plants and we feed them egg layer pellets.

I wonder if she could have gotten into some kind of toxin, a plant or other thing?
Put her on straight layer feed, no other eats, isolate her for observation.

When I have a bird that is acting off, I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom