Soft Shell and Calcium

1GoodEgg

In the Brooder
Nov 25, 2023
My first post folks and I'm sure a question that has been asked many times before. I did have a look through previously discussed section. I have a very small flock (7) of Isa Browns. They are aged between 1 and 3 years. Was sitting watching one of the youngest ones recently and noticed she was puffed up, eyes closed, one wing was drooping down. She was standing still and a watery liquid was coming from her vent. She seemed distressed and I thought the worst. Standing among the other hens she laid an egg that had a membranous outer covering. I understand this is likely caused by calcium deficiency. I've always added shellgrit to their grain but what our local produce store sells is not crushed oyster shells but actually minute shells. I find that the hens scratch through and kick it aside. I have read that a crushed calcium tablet can be sprinkled over a tasty treat which seems like a great idea and much more successful but I'm wondering how much crushed tablet I should offer each girl and how often. A tad? A pinch? Daily? Weekly? For Australian members I have purchased Ostelin Calcium capsules.

Attachments

• 2DF_800.jpg
    2DF_800.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 29
They are aged between 1 and 3 years.
So is the young one 12 months old...or...?

I have read that a crushed calcium tablet can be sprinkled over a tasty treat which seems like a great idea and much more successful but I'm wondering how much crushed tablet I should offer each girl and how often
Are they all laying weak shells?
I've never had to do it, but a whole tablet can be popped into their mouths(hold birds pull down wattles to to pen mouth) and they will swallow it. A pill a day until shells firm up.

What all and how exactly are you feeding...including the protein and calcium percentages of their chicken feed??

For Australian members
Good to know.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1700915724879.png

I have read that a crushed calcium tablet can be sprinkled over a tasty treat which seems like a great idea and much more successful but I'm wondering how much crushed tablet I should offer each girl and how often.
Since you know which bird it is, just take the entire tablet, open her beak and stuff it in her mouth. Faster and easier than crushing the tablet and guarantees she takes it. You can give tablets daily at first, or every other day, while she's in lay.

If she's not agreeable to being handled or you want to minimize handling her you can give her a private breakfast instead if you have somewhere you can separate her temporarily while she eats. It should not be given to the other birds. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it gradually to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results

So is the young one 12 months old...or...?

Are they all laying weak shells?
I've never had to do it, but a whole tablet can be popped into their mouths(hold birds pull down wattles to to pen mouth) and they will swallow it. A pill a day until shells firm up.

What all and how exactly are you feeding...including the protein and calcium percentages of their chicken feed??

Good to know.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3691061
Thanks so much aart! The girl in question is about a year old. In the past I have found the remains of broken soft shell eggs in the laying box but who was responsible, I have no idea lest I install a camera in the coop. The grain mix I buy is specially formulated for laying hens and I add some protein pellets, shell grit and a bit of diatomaceous earth but not much. They are free range and forage all day plus I give them suitable kitchen scraps every other day. Because she is the youngest I suspect she is bullied a bit by the other, more established hens which makes me think she's missing out on some good nutrition. Today I took her aside and we had a little private dining time and she enjoyed her special dish of delights with some added crushed calcium tablet. I'm sure she felt quite privileged.

Since you know which bird it is, just take the entire tablet, open her beak and stuff it in her mouth. Faster and easier than crushing the tablet and guarantees she takes it. You can give tablets daily at first, or every other day, while she's in lay.

If she's not agreeable to being handled or you want to minimize handling her you can give her a private breakfast instead if you have somewhere you can separate her temporarily while she eats. It should not be given to the other birds. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it gradually to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results
Hi rosemarythyme! Thank you for your suggestions. I will monitor her and see how she goes over the next couple of weeks. She certainly seemed quite chuffed with herself today and showed no signs of illness or distress. :)

Back
Top Bottom