Soft shelled eggs/shell less eggs - anything i can give them.

raskusbo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Fareham, Hampshire UK
We have 6 chickens (Warren x Rhode Islands, black columbians mainly hybrids) and every day we are getting a soft shelled eggs or shell less and i wandered if this was a calcium deficiency.

They eat layers pellets, layers meal and poultry spice supplement and have occasional treats green veggies, cooked potato skins, grapes, bananas etc. Plus i bake the egg shells and grind them down and add them to their feed. I thought that would give them sufficient Calcium but perhaps i should give them some extra.

I have started to cut out the treat and am giving them more pellets and chicken foods.

What supplements are there that i can give them or are there certain foods which contain calcium.

Thanks for your help.

Oyster shell has much more calcium than their own eggs do. I actually stopped giving egg shells back to my girls because personally, I haven't the time to cook/grind them. Other good sources are yogurt (lowfat, all natural if possible, plain) and cheeses.

Quote:
Yes, plus it adds to the chances of them eatting their own eggs, feeding them back their own shells. I use oyster shells only... and I mean ONLY when the shells show signs of thining. Layer feed should have enough calcium in it. The oyster shell should be a "boost". Too much calcium in their diet and they can get skeletal issues.

They have oyster shell mixed in with their grit and oyster shell in their corn. I have started with yoghurt - i did buy whole milk yoghurt as they are a but thin so thought would fatten them up a bit - hope this is ok.

I will pass this info to my dad as he is having a similar problem with his chickens (200 miles away). WOuld it be worth starting Apple Cider Vinegar as an extra supplement for wellbeing.

Back
Top Bottom