solid black chick

Shawnee Moon

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2015
Powell, Wyoming
I bought a brown egg laying variety of chicks from the local feed store.

I got a few Buff Orpingtons, some Silver Laced Wyandottes, a couple Black Australorps, and I have a few I can't identify. I posted earlier about a different UFO (unidentified feathered object) who is too dark to be a Buff Orpington and unidentified by the feed store guy, who'd never seen one quite like it.

One is a tiny (8-9 days old and the size of a two day old Australorp), solid black chick. Solid. The Australorps have light grey booties and wing tips. This micro chick has black legs and like I said, no white or grey. She is holding her own with the 13 other chicks, she's just tiny. He said Bantams seldom slip in; he orders brown egg laying pullets. He orders from several batteries so hard to pinpoint her origin.

Any clue? I'm going out to inspect her further...

But that tiny? She came from a batch that, by the time I got them home, was six or seven days old. I bought 2 two day old Black Australorps later, and she is barely their size. I was guessing a Bantam breed, but have still not found a solid black chick like her. I know time will tell, but c'mon, y'all know how it is, I can't wait to see what my flock is!!

Black Sex Links fit the description of your chick as well as do several breeds. Without a pic, there is no way that any of us can identify its breed. Trying to ID chickens without a picture is a bit like shooting in the dark. If you can get a pic posted for us, we'd be happy to take a look at it for you. :eek:)

In the photo with two in my hand, she is the one protesting. I used this to compare: she is about 10 days old, the other chick, an Australorp, is three or four days.

In the "top view" you can see that she holds her wings out a bit, , and the one where I'm holding her, it shows best her wing, leg, etc.

Any ideas?

Oh well. I posted the pictures. I guess time will tell.

She is, oddly enough, the most aggressive chick. Passive aggressive. The other chicks were pecking at feed on a board, she keeps her head down, and eats under everyones feet, if they don't get out of her way, she "accidentally" pecks their toes... They move. She proceeded to peck everyones toes or otherwise get them to move away and she was the último pollo en pie. (Last chicken standing). She holds her own, but is still way smaller.

Back
Top Bottom