Some Peafowl questions

Pics

The Birb King

Bird is the word
Dec 10, 2022
Earth
So I might be getting some peafowl eggs to hatch soon (hopefully) and I have some questions. I heard you are supposed to keep peachicks on a wire floor but a lot of people don't so will they we fine just on pine shavings? And what age can they go outside on the ground? Would they be okay living in an enclosed coop and run with chickens? Also I heard males could get aggressive so Is there any way to prevent this?

So I might be getting some peafowl eggs to hatch soon (hopefully) and I have some questions.
How exciting! Are you getting them locally? It's getting kind of late in the season for pea eggs, so buyer beware.
tting some peafowl eggs to hatch soon (hopefully) and I have some questions. I heard you are supposed to keep peachicks on a wire floor but a lot of people don't so will they we fine just on pine shavings?
I keep mine on towels until they are old enough to go outside.
And what age can they go outside on the ground?
I keep mine in brooders until they are 8-12 weeks old.
Would they be okay living in an enclosed coop and run with chickens?
Have you read about blackhead?
Also I heard males could get aggressive so Is there any way to prevent this?
Don't imprint the males, and they should be fine.

I see you are from Earth which is not very helpful when asking for advice specific to peafowl. Unless you are from Australia I would not advise buying any eggs this time of year.

You should start learning about peafowl by reading the Stickies then ask specific questions here that have not been answered in the Stickies. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peafowl-sticky-topics-index.389059/

How exciting! Are you getting them locally? It's getting kind of late in the season for pea eggs, so buyer beware.

A friend that raises peafowl offered me 2 eggs. That was a few weeks ago though so those would be no good for incubation now so I'm hoping he has some new eggs now. I don't know much about blackhead isn't it spread by poop?

Because the likelihood is they are not fertile this late in the season. But free eggs are free eggs, set them and in ten days you will know if they are going to develop. It will also give you the time to start learning from the Stickies.
I have read some of the Stickies. Hopefully I can talk to him and he still has the eggs

This time of year there are alot of cheap eggs for sale or offered for free sometimes. In the US breeding season is trailing off, most of my males in WI dropped their tails and are no longer interested. The hens are still laying eggs but the fertility is petering out. We're one of the last to have breeding season start and end so if you're south of WI don't be surprised if any eggs bought or received are infertile. There's always a chance but the odds start stacking.

This time of year there are alot of cheap eggs for sale or offered for free sometimes. In the US breeding season is trailing off, most of my males in WI dropped their tails and are no longer interested. The hens are still laying eggs but the fertility is petering out. We're one of the last to have breeding season start and end so if you're south of WI don't be surprised if any eggs bought or received are infertile. There's always a chance but the odds start stacking.
I picked up 65+ eggs from the last week or so today, I will set them and see if any start to develop. I really don't like late hatch chicks as they are so hard to get through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom