some think that gun laws are unconstitutional

jmc

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 22, 2008
South Central MA
I DO NOT WANT TO GET THIS THREAD YANKED. SO IF YOU NEED TO EMAIL OR PM ME, DO SO.

I don't wanna break any rules, but i am seeking your thoughts.

i have told strongly that a gun safety course and the firearm license card requirements are just bad. period. i imagine some don't bother getting 'licensed' etc. but............

i also realize that regulations can be overdone, MA maybe one such place...................

again, please be civil
wink.png

IMO, a firearm safety course is paramount to handling a firearm, much less to owning one. There may be people who have been raised around sufficient firearms, and had their parent teach them well the dangers and legalities of handling and firing a weapon, but I would expect that that is a fairly small number. Most people are not aware of the details of laws with which they do not interact on a regular basis. They may know some of it, but generally not the whole law. For example, when and where it it not legal to shoot a firearm in your state/county/city? What are you allowed to shoot without a license? What requires a license, and when is its hunting season? What are the penalties for killing/wounding/harrassing/just plain shooting at ___?

As for requirements? That varies state by state, and I expect some err too much to the regulatory side and some not far enough (IMO).

I think the biggest objection I hear from gun owners is that with the ever encroaching arm of the federal government into our personal affairs .. and the restrictions that are being placed more and more on what whe do on and with our personal property .. and the anti-gun sentiment .. is that once you are licensed to carry, the federal government knows who has guns .. ya know, should they ever try to take them away.

Irony is .. only law abiding citizens are actually going to LEGALLY own/carry weapons .. and 99% of them are NOT the problem. Take guns away from law abiding citizens, and only the criminals have them .. and will continue to.

"Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar." - Karl Hess

I would say background checks are perfectly okay, and restrictions on crazy things like rocket launchers, but otherwise? The people were intended by the Founders to have military weapons. The actual purpose of the Second Amendment is so that we, the People, can resist tyranny - from abroad or at home. The Founders were universally agreed on the reasoning behind this.

The way I see it, if you have abused your right to bear arms by commiting a crime with those arms, you have voluntarily forfeited your right to keep weapons. Hence the background checks. Otherwise, if you've got the cash, and it isn't a Gatling gun or bazooka, have at it. I know it sounds crazy, but come on. People have access to an explosive just as powerful as dynamite - that's gasoline. 5 gallons has the same power as a stick of dynamite, with the added feature of setting things on fire. To my knowledge, there has not been a rash of gasoline-related terrorism.
wink.png
I, as a teenager, am trusted with the control of a deadly device - the dreaded minivan.
lol.png
I'm not joking about this, though. A car or truck is one of the deadliest weapons on earth, and can cause far more damage than a single Uzi ever could.

Here is a totally random fact: Federal firearms laws say it's illegal for you to buy a battleship or destroyer.
lau.gif
That's too bad, I was gonna put one on my Christmas list.
gig.gif

EDIT: I do think state gun laws are constitutional, but I think that for the most part, they're ridiculous. I do think a firearms safety course could be reasonably mandated with one's purchase of certain weapons - full-auto and concealable particularly. Only at the state level, though.

I know, I'm a nut job. Get used to it.
cool.png

Last edited:
Why not just make a firearms course part of high school... I have my CC permit so I dont mind having to get one but its the issue of who can an who cant that gets people fired up. No rule leaves everyone on the same level. Every requirement you add gives someone the power to deny someone there rights.

Making it a required class in school then covers everyone an people can own them or not without losing privacy.

Quote:
That could work, except for us darn homeschoolers.
wink.png
Don't think I favor ANY regulations except background checks and restrictions on explosives launchers. Actually, if there were a special class for explosive weapons safety... So, yeah, just background checks.
smile.png

I personally don't have one, because I have never held one and figure I'm as likely to shoot myself/loved one as I am to tag an intruder... thus until I get comfortable (classes and practice) I don't feel safe having on in my home. To me that is common sense, to others not so much.

I do strongly agree that as citizens we do have the right to keep arms in case they are needed, to protect our homes, even our country if needed.

And that's my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom