Some type of worm?

Adey65

Chirping
Jul 6, 2021
I did another fecal flotation test this morning as I'm not sure I did the first one right. My one girl (I have 5) has diarrhea, the rest are fine. She had coccidiosis a few months back, but this doesn't like anything like that, not from the charts I have anyway. The only round eggs I can see are roundworm and tapeworm. Any ideas, maybe @Sue Gremlin Having looked at other images online, I'm thinking it could, in fact, be coccidia.

Attachments

• Fecel flow.jpg
    Fecel flow.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
It's definitely not any type of worm egg.
I dont think it's coccidia neither. Even if it were coccidia, it's normal for birds to have coccidia in their system. If there are a few coccidia on the slide, that's normal. However, if the slide is loaded up with coccidia, then there's a problem and the bird should be treated accordingly.

I should have taken a pic of her poop, but looking online this is a very good example of what it is like. When I treated her last time for coccidia I did it for 7 days. I know some say to treat again after 2 weeks for another 5 days. I didn't do the five days. Compared to last time she seems a lot better. She was in a bad way then. But, she isn't herself. I put the sitting down a lot to the weather being hot. It's a lot cooler today and she is not as lively as she normally would be. She's two years old and was always a prolific layer, but barely lays at all now. The last egg she laid was tiny. She's eating and drinking fine, it's just this diarrhea. They were all given their 3 monthly dose of ivermectin on Thursday, could this be the cause? Although it's never been a problem before. Thanks for your patience. I'm just baffled.

Attachments

• poop.jpeg
    poop.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 16
This is the poop I've just seen her do.

Attachments

• 20230627_190441.jpg
    20230627_190441.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 10
When I have seen droppings like that in my flock it's usually been bacterial infection or reproductive cancer. How long ago did the laying drop off?

When I have seen droppings like that in my flock it's usually been bacterial infection or reproductive cancer. How long ago did the laying drop off?
She's only laid a handful of times since they started laying again in spring. She did lay the other day, but the egg was tiny. Here's a pic of it compared to one from one of the other hens. Would oregano oil help if it's a bacterial infection? If so should I just put in all the water, or give her it individually? I have got some.

Attachments

• 20230622_143454.jpg
    20230622_143454.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here she is. Looking okay to be honest. I have picked her up and she doesn't seem to be losing weight. When I picked her up when she had coccidia I was alarmed, she was so light. Its just that diarrhea.

Attachments

• 20230627_201047.jpg
    20230627_201047.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 11
I doubt oregano oil would help, it probably won't hurt anything either. The sporadic laying could also indicate a reproductive problem. In the absence of vet care my usual course is to worm them, and if I'm seeing nasty, yellow green, abnormal droppings or runny, mucousy droppings that do not improve with the worming I will do a round of amoxicillin, in case there is a secondary infection from parasites. If she's developing a reproductive problem, then most of those don't really have good treatment options. If worming and the round of antibiotics don't help, then that would be the next thing I would suspect. That's just what I do in my flock.

I doubt oregano oil would help, it probably won't hurt anything either. The sporadic laying could also indicate a reproductive problem. In the absence of vet care my usual course is to worm them, and if I'm seeing nasty, yellow green, abnormal droppings or runny, mucousy droppings that do not improve with the worming I will do a round of amoxicillin, in case there is a secondary infection from parasites. If she's developing a reproductive problem, then most of those don't really have good treatment options. If worming and the round of antibiotics don't help, then that would be the next thing I would suspect. That's just what I do in my flock.
They recently had ivervectim. Should I just change their pellets for ones with flubenvet, and if so, for how long? Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

Are you in the UK? I personally prefer a wormer that is dosed directly, orally to the bird. When it's in the feed, if they aren't eating well because they don't feel well, they may not take enough in to be effective. Underdosing can leave you with medication resistant parasites. Ivermectin is reportedly losing effectiveness for some parasites, so I use a wormer with fenbendazole or albendazole, that will take care of everything except tapeworm. Flubendazole is also effective, I just don't like to administer things in the feed, it's too hard to know if they got enough.

Back
Top Bottom