Someone explain why I can't hatch eggs anymore

fishforbrains

Songster
8 Years
Oct 4, 2015
So I have successfully hatched and kept quail for many years. I had a really good covey going and moved and the covey seemed happy in the new place except they were coming up on 3 yrs old and starting to really slow down on egg laying so I decided to hatch out a new batch (from one male, bunch of females). Was totally astounded when only one egg hatched. The other eggs were all dead at 10 days gestation. Tried again. Same result. Luckily the two singleton chicks (both hens) like each other. Researched. Death at 10 days in egg seems to be related to parental quality, so I got some eggs from someone else. Same result. One singleton chick, dead in egg at ten days for the rest. Any thoughts? Maybe the new place is infected with some pathogen?

So I have successfully hatched and kept quail for many years. I had a really good covey going and moved and the covey seemed happy in the new place except they were coming up on 3 yrs old and starting to really slow down on egg laying so I decided to hatch out a new batch (from one male, bunch of females). Was totally astounded when only one egg hatched. The other eggs were all dead at 10 days gestation. Tried again. Same result. Luckily the two singleton chicks (both hens) like each other. Researched. Death at 10 days in egg seems to be related to parental quality, so I got some eggs from someone else. Same result. One singleton chick, dead in egg at ten days for the rest. Any thoughts? Maybe the new place is infected with some pathogen?
1. Method of incubation? Is this first time you’ve used the incubator in a while?? Did you calibrate it? Temp/humidity ….. some incubators can get way off very quickly
2. Low fertility….age of hens, high hen to roo ratio
3. Genetic defects (low-quality) and/or nutritional deficiency

I have a similar issue in the Caledon line I got. Had a decent hatch rate for the eggs I ordered, but have never gotten an egg laid and/fertilized from them to hatch yet

I've only done one hatch with three year old birds, but the hatch rate was reasonable. If you're having the same issues with eggs from someone else, I'd blame the incubator. When you moved did you move to a different climate?

I hate to say it but if your birds are coming up on 3 years old they are pretty much past their production time. I personally would get some new hatching eggs or buy some live birds and start over. From what I've been told from several people, a Quail's best production period is usually up to 2 years. I hear that egg production and fertility drops as they age and significantly when they reach 2 years old.

well, yeah, so I bought some eggs from someone else and had the same result. So the obvious reason isn't the reason. I haven't used the incubator for three years but I checked it carefully against three thermometers and all seemed fine. If it was fritzing why would they die at 10 days? You'd think they would die at random ages. It's an ancient Hovabatter with quail egg turner.

If you're double checking temp and you know that's right, what about humidity? In my experience, coturnix eggs to best at about 30% humidity until lockdown, then up to about 50%.

Back
Top Bottom