someone's second hand smoke.and my baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do you think that this will magically be solved if you lived on a farm?
what about when your neighbor burns brush? Or even better the manure pile
sickbyc.gif
Tractor exhaust. hogs. cow farts. spreading turkey manure in the spring time.

pesticides. crop dusters. there are almost as many bad things in the country air as there are in the city. They are just different...
10x more skunks too. I swear we have a million skunks running about.

I think you have new mom worries. I also think you have more of an odor problem than a real smoke problem. Cigarette smoke stinks and continues to stink, so does wood smoke, charcoal and smog. The difference is that you are sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke. You probably notice the odor more than any other smoke or ambient odor.

I think you are slightly over reacting. Yes, second hand smoke can be dangerous. It is unlikely that your whole house fan is sucking in enough of your neighbor's cigarette smoke to cause any health issue, even for an infant. The same fan is venting the air outside, that is why the whole process works to cool your home. If you want to check just how much smoke your fan can bring in, try some sort of smoke/vent detector type smoke bomb that is used to test for leaks in ducting and fume hoods for labs. The smoke is safe and usually colored to let you know if you have air flow issues.

I think asking your neighbor to change is use of his property is unwise. You will come off as a wack job. Nobody wants someone else suggesting they can't do a legal activity in their own yard. If this neighbor was creating a real menace it would be different; but I feel this is a issue of sensitivity, not danger.

As a smoker and a parent, I understand where you are coming from as well as your concern caused by the smell and the second hand smoke to your baby. As a neighbor who didn't know you,I might would be personally a little offended if this was a first interaction as someone else mentioned but I would take into consideration what you were asking .. not telling me ... to do. While I do not agree with a lot of restrictions placed on smokers - particularly in some of the harsher states - I see nothing wrong with a polite excuse me. but your smoke when you go out seems to somehow be making it into my baby's room in particular and I was wondering if perhaps we could compromise and find a spot that would be a little upwind or further away from this particular window ... maybe I am just weird in that politeness goes a long way with me and I am a sucker for babies . .. Now yelling out a window when frustrated might make sense especially when one is an overly tired mom to a newborn (COngrats by the way !! ) but that would make me take great offense way more than the more polite asking mentioned above. I think the suggestion of changing the windows that were open and see if that helped is also a smart one and hope that it may help you.

Why is it hard to understand that its cigarette smoke that I don't want in my house...it stinks and makes other things stink. Millions of people don't want it in their home. Other odors or air pollutants that are associated with every day life are not what I am concerned with. I have spent months on my friends farm throughout the years and I could live just fine with the air out there and the distance between houses. He burns his trash downwind and his nearest.neighbor is 2 hills and 4 miles away from his place... that's doable. Why is my desire for a tabacco smell and smoke free home and baby so bad? Our neighborhood isn't hateful like some posters are...wenprettymuch get along and share produce and buy fundraiser junk from eachothers kids...a little compromise to help someone out with a new baby isn't out of the question.
after reading both your posts my wife and I have a few thoughts #1 Your fan system is the cause of your issues not your neighbor necessarily(unless he smokes in your back yard) #2 wife thinks maybe you should take a whiff of your husbands clothes... just a thought #4 As stated before try a HEGA or HEPA filter on the intake of your vent system.
You asked for ideas, but what you really seem to want is validation.
+1 I smoke, my wife hates it... I smoke outside on back porch and my house doesnt reek of smoke. Only thing I can think of is her hubby is smoking in secret(under the window?) or her fan system needs tweaking.

I'm a new mom to a 9 week old. We live in a place where the temperatures really climb in the day but are much cooler at night. We couldn't afford air conditioning before the baby so we got a whole house fan that really works wonders whenever the outside temp is cooler than inside. We have really enjoyed it until we started smelling cigarette smoke in the house all the time.
It turns out we have a chain smoking neighbor who lites up a a few every hour or so...all day and in the oddest night time hours.... 9 pm, midnight, 2 and 4 in the morning... i know this because it wakes me up because it reeks and because I don't want my baby breathing it in or becoming familliar with the stench and associating it with home.
I cant figure out which of the three upwind neighbors are smoking or if its more than one neighbor or person... I've gotten so peeved I've yelled out into the backyard for them to smoke somewhere else where it wont waft into my house but I don't think they care.
Now we have very hot weather and the only means we have offf cooling down makes our house stink and brings second hand smoke to my baby.
I don't think I have any legal rights and I don't want to go knocking on doors searching for the offender.

Does anybody have any ideas? I really hate smoking and the odor and I go crazy smelling it all throughout my house.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Since even several powerful fans wouldn't overcome the strong breeze that blows there, them moving to a different corner of the yard, even if they were willing to, probably wouldn't help either.

A new stressed out nursing mom is not a very happy environment for mom or baby...(my nursing baby would have been terribly startled if I had yelled while nursing)....at least it wasn't for me when my house got infested by fleas from a stray kitten that my young son had brought inside temporarily. When the flea problem was realized, I sat outside, closed up in my car with my nursing newborn, both crying, while everything in my house was laundered and the house bug bombed with poison that I was sure would harm my newborn. Then it was all repeated 2 weeks later to be sure there'd be no more fleas. Everyone's still alive and 20 years later the family still talks about the great flea invasion. Stress and newborns and nursing aren't a good combo anytime and hoping you find a solution for the situation.

I've read everyone's comments first off,
hugs.gif
, having a new baby in the house is sure stressful. I remember hubby and I fighting about who shousd change the diaper, cause yes we both thought each other was doing it wrong.. lol

Yes stinky smoke in your house sucks..

I think there is nothing wrong with talking to your neighbors.. And mentioning that your are post-natual. worried sick and losing sleep..
mention that you have tried opening different windows ect, (please try this first)

And also mention you really don't want to cause problems, as you realize it's none of you bussiness, nor can you except them to not smoke..

but are wondering if when there smoking could they please try to smoke down wind.. And ask them to please don't think I'm to crazy, and blame it on being a new mom.. (Cause really that is the problem) It's amazing the mama bear instints that kicks in, takes awhile to learn how to control that.. lol

Also please remember you still have pregnancy hormones in your body, I don't know about you, but my sniffer could smell anything when preggers, and things bothered me way more..

I really hope things work out for you!!

I live pretty far away from neighbors but before we start any fires, we always check the wind, and who's clothes are on the line..

Quote:

Stress and newborns and nursing aren't a good combo anytime and hoping you find a solution for the situation.
x2
being a smoker for decades my first thoughts were not very nice but I stopped and remembered how protective I was with our first child. the eldest is now 30 and the baby is 24 non had breathing problems till they went to work making waffers for a large computer company. and guess what the company blamed it on. your parents smoked. lord knows the acid they inhaled for 12 hours a day had nothing to do with it. But all will be fine .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom