somethigs wrong with my ducklings

Medusa M

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
Australia - WA-(perth)
i had a muscovie sitting on around 13 eggs they have all started to hatch but the first 6 that have hatched out have got a growth looking thing on them here are some pictures to help

any help on this problem would be so very much appriciated as there are still 6 eggs hatching and they may turn out like this

will they die as i have kept them warm and in a safe place in my house

also if it helps they were all having an extremly hard time hatching so i have helped them all a little so far

Hatching is supposed to be difficult. Removing them from the shell to soon can be harmful. If they are under the broody, I would advise leaving them be and letting them hatch. It takes a duckling 24-48 hours to completely hatch. Assisting should really only be attempted if the mother has left viable eggs in the nest after a prolonged hatch, the mother is attacking new hatches or ducklings are becoming shrink wrapped which shouldn't be happening under a duck. Ducklings that are helped out of the egg may develop normally but may also be sickly/deformed etc. Inability to hatch is nature's way of preventing weak ducklings from hatching.

If the umbilical or yolk sac were removed prematurely then they could get infections at the site. There is not alot that you can do at this point (according to storey's guide) if an infection is present.

Also, if you are wanting to return them to the hen you will need to do so with care as she may not recognize them as hers.

Last edited:
jdywntr .thank you for your information

i do know your not supposed to help them hatch its just they were already hatching and had been for about 2 days before i had helped them ...there were many little holes made by the ducklings and after the second day of them trying to hatch (but no more succsess)i decided to help them out ...i think it is just them needing to obsorb the yolk as they seem to be healing up and the deformity looking thing is getting much smaller

they are all fluffed up and normal looking now and have all hatched

as far as returning them to the mother goes ..i think well just keep them in the house for a while untill there old enough to be able to survive outside by themselvs as they now think that me,my sister and my auntie are all their mothers
lau.gif

so ill have too see how 13 muscovie ducklings in the hosue goes haha
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom